WDTV HDMI output to tablet

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HarshaDS

WDTV HDMI output to tablet

Post by HarshaDS » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 am

Hi All,
I've been trying to build a minimalist audio system at home with what I though would be a very simple off the shelf solution, the WDTV Live. I simply ripped my CD's to 24/96 FLAC files, attached the small portable USB HDD to the WDTV which output via optical to my DAC and then onto the PrimaLuna Dialogue 2. To navigate this simple setup an HDMI went out to my 60" plasma.

Everything was fine for a while till I realized having the TV on just to navigate my music was a bit of a waste. Since then I've been trying to work out how to get what appears on screen onto a tablet which can become my glorified remote control/GUI. In the world I know photography/video there is a little toy called the Teradek cube.....which would work but I think might be considered overkill. Any help or advice would be useful.

Please forgive the somewhat skewed question in this forum but I have not as yet found a suitable answer in audio related forums.

My thanks in advance
Harsha

washu

Re: WDTV HDMI output to tablet

Post by washu » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 am

I assume you have looked at the WD TV Remote app? That lets you control the WDTV from a phone/tablet. Try that out if you haven't yet.

I've never seen anything that lets you input video directly to a tablet. If it can be done at all it's more likely to work on Android devices. They can take USB input directly, so using a USB capture device is just a matter of drivers and software.

A hack would be to use a USB capture device plugged into a PC and then view it like a webcam. Got a server that runs all the time?

Another hack would be to replace the WDTV Live with a low power HTPC and then use remote desktop or VNC to control it from the tablet. Still way cheaper than a Teradek cube.

The simplest and likely cheapest is just to not use the tablet at all. Find a small monitor with HDMI in.