Best Options for CompTIA Network+ & later CEH certifications

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Best Options for CompTIA Network+ & later CEH certifications

Post by aristide1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey,

Well after reading a 1200 page book my Michael Myers (yes the whole thing), taking several on-line practice exams (all outdated) and then actually purchasing a practice exam I managed to pass my CompTIA A+ certification. I was not pleased with my grade, given my prior experience, and the amount of money I spent on materials.

Next on the list is Security+ or CEH Certified Ethical Hacker. I have book knowledge here but no hands on. What are my options for getting up to speed? There are boot camps with absolutely ridiculous prices and some web sites that offer materials and webinars. I hate their sales techniques, starting with silly high price and then offering a discount down to the merely overpriced level. Oh, and it has to be today or the lower price is gone. Yeah, right.

I'm looking for a decent site that will provide some webinars and hopefully some hands on labs. The thought of book knowledge alone to pass the exam makes me uncomfortable.

Thoughts?

dhanson865

Re: Best Options for CompTIA Network+ & later CEH certificat

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:42 pm

I went from getting about 70% right without studying to about 95% right after studying on the Security+ and I can't imagine any way after taking the test that real world knowledge would have served me better than studying the Security+ book.

I'd sure rather hire someone with real world knowledge to do the work and I assure you I have real world knowledge but the test was more about knowing the acronyms and buzzwords than it was about knowing how to setup up a device or what effect that device would have on day to day operations.

CEH is likely a different story. I sure hope they get more into the how to, why, and how it affects things but I don't know as I haven't taken that one yet.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Best Options for CompTIA Network+ & later CEH certificat

Post by aristide1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I agree with your assessment as well as the hiring issues. So I'm going to start with the book and go from there. I believe an alumni also passed CEH with book knowledge.

I'm in a terrible position, regardless of what a piece of paper claims I know I can't say I have experience when I have none. In the US many entry level jobs have experience requirements, some 0-2 years, but others 4-7 years. The problem is simple, they can't find people to meet their hiring requirements while at the same time they do not allow the pool of people they can hire to increase.

But that's only part of the story. If you look at the job descriptions you see the other problem. They want to hire intermediate personnel at beginner's wages. And they do.