Elysium - No spoilers

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Elysium - No spoilers

Post by aristide1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Maybe I was expecting too much. I found it to be a predictable variation of a Hollywood type script the way Outland was basically High Noon in outer space. I didn't see any new ground covered here. No surprises. Excessive shaky camera left much to be desired. Almost no humor. You wonder why I say that? Well the Dark Knight movies had great humor. I was underwhelmed with Jodie Foster's character. A bright spot? Alice Braga's eyes.

Mats

Re: Elysium - No spoilers

Post by Mats » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Do you think District 9 was better?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 am

Yes I thought D9 was better, but maybe because it seemed fresher, whereas many of the effects and techniques used in this film are clearly borrowed from other films. But District 9 was about race, this is more about classes. In the end if you don't like the message you won't like the film, which is where some of my friends stand.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:50 am

I really liked D9, one of the good things about it is that you really can't imagine how it would end.
When I heard about Blomkamps new film I got curious, but I had my doubts about whether if it could be something like D9, or if it would get Hollywoodized... :D