Can you re-use the dust bag in vacuum cleaner, like Miele?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Happy Hopping

Can you re-use the dust bag in vacuum cleaner, like Miele?

Post by Happy Hopping » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:35 am

For those vacuum cleaner that uses dust bag, can you not empty them, and re-use it? How does the vacuum cleaner itself knows, that I empty the dust and re-use it?

because in the manual of miele, it says "Miele dustbags are disposable and made to be used only once. Do not attempt to reuse"

why?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Can you re-use the dust bag in vacuum cleaner, like Miel

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 am

I'm sure you can reuse them a few times. But the bag acts like a filter. The idea is air, dust and other crap goes in, only air comes out. After a while fine dust will make it hard for air to pass through. You will see best performance with a new fresh bag, but reuse it and see for yourself.

Planned obsolescence is an evil we must fight against. Reduce, reuse, recycle. In that order. :)

edh

Post by edh » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 am

Happy Hopping wrote:"Miele dustbags are disposable and made to be used only once. Do not attempt to reuse"

why?
That would be because they can make money out of selling vacuum cleaner bags. It's a consumable business. :roll:

It would be well worth looking at the story of how James Dyson came to be where he is. His first experiments with a bagless vacuum was simply modifying a bagged cleaner which kept clogging up. He took his idea to Electrolux and they turned him away as they were happily making money selling bags. He set up his own company which is now the leading brand and all of his competitors have had to change their designs to be more like his.

Long story short: when you have to replace your vacuum cleaner, buy a bagless one.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:31 am

I did look in to the dyson. There are serious problems w/ it. Go to amazon.com and read the customer review on all the dyson. I spent several hr. reading it. They don't work well after 6 mth., there are a lot of complaint.

The miele has 10 yr. warranty

edh

Post by edh » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 am

Happy Hopping wrote:I did look in to the dyson. There are serious problems w/ it. Go to amazon.com and read the customer review on all the dyson. I spent several hr. reading it. They don't work well after 6 mth., there are a lot of complaint.
That's likely to be the case for most consumer electronics. Can't say I've ever had any problem with a Dyson.
Happy Hopping wrote:The miele has 10 yr. warranty
Warranty lengths don't always reflect life expectancy. Something is either going to fail very early on or when it gets to natural end of life. If the end of life is at 11 years lets say, it doesn't matter if the warranty is 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 years.

Obviously reusing vacuum cleaner bags would void the warranty so you are locked into buying replacement bags for 10 years, something a bagless cleaner wouldn't have locked you into.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:39 pm

My Dyson is awesome, they just need a good clean every year or 2. Had it working flawlessly for over 6-years, cleaned it once, still works perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUi7xJQ82c

I did something similar to the above video. Started with a screwdriver to get out the dust, fluff and hair out of the cylinder. Put it into the bath and took the shower head to it, and cleaned out both filters. Left it to dry, put it back together, well worth doing as I hadn't cleaned it (or even the filters) for 4-years. Told my parents and brother to do the same thing with theirs, its the only maintenance they seem to need.

If this is the "flaw" that your referring to then its fixed inside 30-minutes and without costing a penny (well almost..... no replacement parts anyway).

Would I recommend someone a Dyson, absolutely. When I got mine I vacuumed a carpet thoroughly, I then used the Dyson and got out so much more dirt it was scary and the old one seemed to work properly.

Andy

ship69

Post by ship69 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:17 am

Disposable bags are a total and utter rip-off. They are terrible for the environment and disgust me.

I have used various Dyson models for many years. They are extremely heavy - which makes them hard to use at speed. They are noisy. They are not very well made. They are unreliable too. My last one lost power if it was made to suck too hard. They are also extremely expensive.

All we need is a vacuum cleaner with a dustbag that you can easily empty and wash if necessary. I am told that the Henry vacuum cleaners work well.

I have a very nice a "Miele C3 Powerline Complete". However the bags for it cost GBP 2.00 to 3.00+... EACH !!

I am looking for a re-usable/washable bags for it.

Something like this seems promising:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Vacuu ... grid_i_0_2
(although it looks rather fiddly to fit correctly and I would much prefer something custom built for my exact model...)

- Any suggestions?

J

edh

Post by edh » Wed May 13, 2015 12:58 pm

ship69 wrote:All we need is a vacuum cleaner with a dustbag that you can easily empty and wash if necessary.
No, because you'll still have the problem of the bag reducing the suction of the cleaner as it starts collecting dust. Doesn't matter if you can clean it to get rid of it, that doesn't help you much while you are using the thing.

You don't need a dust bag. Using a cyclone to separate particles out of the air is well proven in many industrial applications.

silentbobbo

Post by silentbobbo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 am

Hello. One of the authors is right, a disposable dust bag serves as a filter and when you reuse it, all the dust that you collect will go back to your house. For this, there are reusable bags. You can pick up such a bag for your model of vacuum cleaner. You can look at more detailed information on this website https://cleanersexpert.com/best-vacuum- ... od-floors/, there is information on how to use bags for the vacuum cleaner correctly.

Xeloron

Post by Xeloron » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:12 am

You are right, the bag acts as a filter. But I still use a disposable bag several times, and the dust hardly returns. I think it saves my money well. But I want to buy a bagless vacuum cleaner with a wet cleaning function. I looked at different models, and my attention was attracted by this EUREKA Mighty Mite Bagged Canister vacuum cleaner. I read a lot of reviews and information about him at https://devices4home.com/best-bagged-vacuum/. Which vacuum cleaner do you think is best for me?

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 am

I don't clean, ever. Cheaper, better for the planet. Win/win.