Kama Bay Amp Pro opinion

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

makajzdaj

Kama Bay Amp Pro opinion

Post by makajzdaj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Looking for an amp, a cheap one... this one is the only available in my country atm.
It has more features over the original, but is worth 100 €? Its not a Yamaha chip anymore, its based on a MAXIM MAX 98400A, is this bad or good?
I intend to drive a pair of scythe crokraft speakers, is it possible to add another pair for a total of four passive speakers?
Thanks for your opinions and ideas!!

CA_Steve

Re: Kama Bay Amp Pro opinion

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:10 pm

I don't have any first hand knowledge on these, but here's a bunch of reviewsfor the Pro and the Mini version.

There's only one set of speaker outputs. If you double them up, it's the equivalent of the amp driving 4 ohms rather than 8 ohms. Scythe doesn't give any performance specs at 4 ohm load. <shrugs> Also, Scythe EUshows this amp as being a discontinued product.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:09 am

makajzdaj wrote:Looking for an amp, a cheap one... this one is the only available in my country atm.
It has more features over the original, but is worth 100 €? Its not a Yamaha chip anymore, its based on a MAXIM MAX 98400A, is this bad or good?
I intend to drive a pair of scythe crokraft speakers, is it possible to add another pair for a total of four passive speakers?
Thanks for your opinions and ideas!!
I'd have a look on ebay for one of these:

Denon PMA350-II
NAD 3020(e)
Pioneer A300(r) or A400(x)

There are plenty more available, but those were incredibly popular for a long time.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:54 am

On the low end there's the affordable LP-2020A+

makajzdaj

Post by makajzdaj » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks for your replies. This will be my first amp, for years I had low end pc speakers, lots of humming and buzzing... Im not very demanding, but my brother has a big library of CDs and mp3s, he s more concerned about sound. Want to buy him a present for his birthday, right now he s listening through his mono guitar amp hooked to a laptop... I cant bear to see him with this kind of setup!
Nice suggestions btw, Im a rookie in this field. Will see with ebay..
Keep you posted, bye