searching passive cooled ati all in wonder with dvi

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HadroLepton

searching passive cooled ati all in wonder with dvi

Post by HadroLepton » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:15 pm

i am searching for a passive cooled ati all in wonder with dvi interface

i have seen many passive cooled radeon 9000 so i was hoping to find a radeon 9000 based aiw with passive cooling but no luck so far. even the radeon 9000 aiw from sapphire is active cooled.

[OT] i also noticed from sapphire that only the radeon 9000 without dvi are passive cooled, while the radeon 9000 with dvi are active cooled. does dvi produce extra heat? more likely that dvi produces less heat because it doesn't have to do digital to analog conversion. AFAIK since couple of years the dac (digital analog converter) component is integrated in the gpu. assuming the dac is producing heat when working and assuming they turn it off when not used the dvi cards should produce less heat! arrr! [/OT]

alternatively i can also mod an active cooled one with a zalman nb32j. i have watched for mounting holes because i'm not really keen on epoxying. i noticed that most radeon 9000 aiw have mounting holes although some don't :| so i have to be carefull which to buy (maybe the photos were from a really bad angle so the holes got obscured). even with mounting holes all radeon 9000 aiw that i have seen use an epoxied heatsink-fan instead of using the mounting holes. i'm not really keen on ripping off an epoxied heatsink-fan :| (sheesh! is there anything this guy is keen on?) ^_^;

it doesn't have to be a radeon 9000 it can also be a radeon classic or any other radeon (that can be passive cooled), though all radeon classic aiw that i have seen don't have dvi and are active cooled. 3d performance is no issue, the card is for my dad's pc and he doesn't play games.

so if you know a radeon aiw with passive cooling and dvi interface, or a radeon aiw with a heatsink-fan which is clip mounted instead of epoxied, please post here. thanks :)

edit: clarified some terms
Last edited by HadroLepton on Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:40 pm

Have you run though the entire stock over @ www.newegg.com ?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:54 pm

I can't imagine the fan on the Radeon 9000 pro AIW would be that hard to remove, especially when hot. Get it nice and toasty and just twist it off.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:57 pm

My friend had the AIW 7500...It came off really easy even when it wasn't fresh out of the oven.

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:37 pm

i searched newegg (the layout of that page is crap) and found one ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 7500 64MB AGP OEM which has passive cooling and dvi. though this isn't much use for me because newegg doesn't ship outside us. at least i know now that there is a radeon 7500 aiw card with passive cooling and dvi that i can look for here in germany.

now that i come to think of it, is there any difference in the all in wonder performance from a radeon 7500 and a radeon 9000? or any ati all in wonder generations for that matter?

miker, i'm sure it isn't that hard (haven't done it yet) i'm just not really keen on doing it ^_^;;

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:07 pm

Avoid the pre-8500DV AIW Radeon's as they have problems with the sound & video sync when ripping long MPEG-2's.

I am looking to buy also, but waiting to see if they come out with an AIW 9600 Pro.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:09 pm

Well I've got two AIW 7500. Passive cooled, it has a DVI connector and a normal connector/adaptor that attaches to the DVI connector. I can't say too much about the cards, they work great. I'm using the latest drivers, 3.6, without any problems. Err...why would you want to remove the heatsink?

I can capture video, TV progs, and can pause live progs using the PVR features. No problems...the remote control (rf) even works well.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:41 pm

Yeah, I hate newegg's site too, but they have good deals.

try www.googlegear.com ?

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:56 pm

bluefront, sorry my text was a little mistakable. i meant to remove a heatsink-fan not just a heatsink. i have edited my post accordingly.

polist8, thanks but i'm rather after the card models not links to shops. i wanted to know wether they exist at all. cause i have been searching so long and haven't found any i started to think that there aren't any at all.

riffer, thanks for the info, guess i'll have to go for a radeon 9x00 based aiw

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:30 am

have been doing some research. i found by reading some reviews that at least since the radeon 9000 ati has been using a "theater 200" chip. products before radeon 9000 seem to be using another chip, sometimes refered as "rage theater" chip, but most of the time just left unmentioned.

i have also found this

http://mirror.ati.com/support/agpchart/index.html

it's a chart with all ati cards and the chipset they use for video in/video out. interestingly they seem to have left out the radeon 9000 aiw although it is featured in their own product page. there is also a radeon ve aiw which uses theater 200 long before the radeon 8500 with just theater chip. arrr!

well enough off topic rant.

any radeon 9000 aiw with passive cooling?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:20 pm

Riffer wrote:Avoid the pre-8500DV AIW Radeon's as they have problems with the sound & video sync when ripping long MPEG-2's.

I am looking to buy also, but waiting to see if they come out with an AIW 9600 Pro.
I have the Radeon AIW 8500DV and yes it did have lots of problems. After much headache and trial + error. I have finally got a stable and perfect card. :D

I would also advise to go for the 9X00+ AIW cards, since they come with ATI MMC version 8.1 or later, where they have ironed out all those nasty bugs. :roll:

With regards to the question about the difference between Radeon 7500 and 9000. There is about ~2000-3000 3DMarks 2001se difference.