Thermalright Shaman on GTX570

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattyc

Thermalright Shaman on GTX570

Post by mattyc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 am

Just FYI i have recently installed a thermalright shaman on my GTX570 which is overclocked to 800-1600-2000.

HUGE Temp differences:-

Stock idle 42-45 degrees
Stock Load 80-85 degrees, fan around 60% noisey as hell!

Shaman idle 30 degrees
Shaman Load 55-58 degrees, fan at 50% SILENT

I have to say though, i am a very experienced computer geek and have probarbly fitted 10 aftermarket coolers before and this was a pig to install. It is a good job my wife wasnt in as the language was awful!
It took over 2 hours and was a nightmare to do, but well worth the effort as i am silent again!
The thermalright fan is fantastic, i also have one on my mega CPU cooler and it is excellent

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Thermalright Shaman on GTX570

Post by Tzupy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Congratulations on your successful Shaman installation!
Could you please add some details, like why was it so difficult to install, and the VRM temps you're getting?

LM741C

Post by LM741C » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Finally someone tried and reported back :o. What did you use as load the card? Did you connect the thermalright fan directly to the video card header? Last, if you don't mind (and feel it's safe), can you run an older version of furmark (like 1.6.x) and report temps. Thx.

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 am

Tzupy wrote:Congratulations on your successful Shaman installation!
Could you please add some details, like why was it so difficult to install, and the VRM temps you're getting?
I cant measure the VRM temperatures as they are not supported on the gtx500 series.
The main reason it was so difficult to install was the screws that thread through the board and tighten everything up and hold the main heatsink tight were too short!
I had to get help to squeeze the graphics card together so there was enough room on the thread of the screw to attatch the thumb bolt. After i managed that, i could only then put the rubber washers inbetween the thumbbolt and the board. Before anyone asks, yes i read the instructions, about 10 times because i couldnt believe i had to do this when everyone else said it was so easy. Maybe i am the first person to install it on the gtx570 as all the other reviews are on other cards.

I have ordered from E-Bay a connection cable which will let me plug the 4pin fan header into the graphics card fan header, didnt know they even made these leads but hey ho! AT present i have the 4pin fan header connected to a 3 pin motherboard fan header with a modded volt reducer inbetween so is running aroung 7volts i think.

I am a little worried about the VRM temps but because i cant measure them, there is not a lot i can do. I ran some 3dmark2011 tests on the same clocks as i had with stock cooler and my system locked up. I then ran the same tests with front air intake fans on 100% (nexus basic x2 120mm fans around 700rpm) and it was steady so maybe the vrm cooling isnt adequate when running high performance applications with the fan on 7v. Once i can control the fan speed i will be able to turn it up slightly when it is at load.

appletree

Post by appletree » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 am

LM741C wrote:Finally someone tried and reported back :o. What did you use as load the card? Did you connect the thermalright fan directly to the video card header? Last, if you don't mind (and feel it's safe), can you run an older version of furmark (like 1.6.x) and report temps. Thx.
Actually I've installed Shaman on GTX 580 just yesterday. I've never changed stock cooler on any VGA and it took me about 3 hours, but I would say that installation is pretty easy EXCEPT ! disassembling the card if you do not have optimal screwdrivers (I could remove all Phillips P0 screws easily except one, which turned out to be impossible so I couldn't test theory mentioned in this thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61153 which I really wanted to try out) Luckily I bought two different Torx T6 screwdrivers because again - there was one T6 screw which was impossible to remove with screwdriver that worked on all other T6s (so the second screwdriver saved the day)
But even bigger pain was fitting the RAM/VRM sinks - that was really annoying. Also the 140mm fan doesn't fit into VGA, the only way I was able to connect it would be to use 4pin on MB (not a good idea, because than it starts on 800rpm) or via 7V 3pin reduction - which is what I ended up using.
mattyc wrote: I have ordered from E-Bay a connection cable which will let me plug the 4pin fan header into the graphics card fan header
good - so there exists something ? I was looking in local shops and couldn't find anything. More details ?

Now about acoustics & temps

Well on 7V the Thermalright fan is MUCH quieter than the stock cooler at idle (40%). (Actually when I disconnect all fans on the PC I can still hear buzzing of the GTX 580 card, with closed case it seems to be no problem for me, but it could be bothersome to someone with sensitive ears. Seems like GTX 580 is not silent even at idle and passively cooled.)

It could be that with the exhaust and top fans on my p182 - 2x Nexus 120mm @7V are actually louder than Thermalright @7V because they are not covered by case side panel - but I'll need more time to be sure. Another good thing is that @7V I measured temps on GPU that never stepped above 85 C full load and closed case. Not so good thing is that @ 7V sometimes I can hear slight clicking noise coming from the fan, but just sometimes, I still haven't decided how much is this a problem. When I connect another 9V reduction - on the already used 7V reduction :) then the Thermalright fan is still able to spin and I would say that when compared to noise floor of my system it is virtually "inaudible" (no clicking etc). Yet even with this double undervolting it keeps the GPU temp at 93 C full load. I even tried gaming and saw no artifacts or other anomalies, I think 97 C is max safe temp for GTX 580 so 93 C is a bit "on the edge". The worst thing about the performance (which was expected) is that the temps inside case are now much higher as there is no blower exhaust fan as on the stock cooler. This results in CPU temps now being about 6C higher than on stock cooler at equal load. I've tried Dirt2 which is one of the games that can utilize more than 2 cores and I got 65 C on one core which is not that great - luckily there are not so many games that can use all four cores at full load :lol: I still haven't tried my original idea with mounting 120mm fan into p182 GPU position and seeing if it helps somehow with case (and hopefully VRM) temp. Oh and I also can not report on VRM temps, but seasonic x-750 even at full load seemed to be fine and was not ramping up the PSU fan. I still need more time to evaluate acoustics etc. properly I will probably write more detailed review sometime next week, or at least sometime... :lol:

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:06 am

I am a little worried if your cooler is installed correctly, I didn't get those temps heavily overclocked with stock cooler and little airflow, your load temps shouldn't be any higher than 60-65 degrees, it the heatsink flat, is the fan the right way round, they are worse than stock temps!
With reference to the fan adapter, just search eBay for 4pin fan and it should come up, I had to order from hong kong though!

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:13 am

I have now installed my fan onto my graphics card header with the mentioned device, its nice to be able to set a fan curve in MSI so the fan increases in speed with the graphics card temp.
The only problem is, the thermalright fan makes a really annoying clicking sound over 50% speed and it is because it is mounted horizontally. I have one of these fans on my CPU heatsink and it doesnt make a noise at all.
Unless i have a faulty fan?

appletree

Post by appletree » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 pm

mattyc wrote:I am a little worried if your cooler is installed correctly, I didn't get those temps heavily overclocked with stock cooler and little airflow, your load temps shouldn't be any higher than 60-65 degrees, it the heatsink flat, is the fan the right way round, they are worse than stock temps!
Well, idle temps with stock fan were 85C and 64% fan speed. Can you be more specific about airflow conditions in your case ?
If I remove side panel I get about 10C better temps, ~73C with fan@7V (heaven benchmark). Is this adequate ? (can you test with opened case ?) I haven't checked if heatsink is flat as I assumed the shape should be OK, other than that I don't know what else could go wrong. I thought it's the accumulated heat inside the case what's holding me back.
mattyc wrote: The only problem is, the thermalright fan makes a really annoying clicking sound over 50% speed and it is because it is mounted horizontally. I have one of these fans on my CPU heatsink and it doesnt make a noise at all.
Unless i have a faulty fan?
Yes I mentioned similar problem in my post above. I am running 3pin @7V which should be roughly 50% rpm and I can definitely hear it. If I undervolt below 7V (not sure about exact number), the clicking disappears. So do I have a faulty fan as well ? SPCR review doesn't mention this problem ! I'll have to try in vertical pos.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 pm

thanks to everyone for feedback on the shaman.

i have those ty-140's running horizontally on my silver arrow, in an ft02, and they don't make any clicking noise... seems like the luck of the draw.

LM741C

Post by LM741C » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:30 pm

I bought one TY-140 fan but did not yet have a chance to test it. After reading the comments about the fan yesterday, I went out and bought an adapter so I could hook it up to a power supply and the clicking sound is present :cry: on almost all voltage levels above 6.5v. Fan orientation did not matter. The 140mm slipstream fan from Scythe is noticeably quieter. I'm not sure how it got such a high score in xbitlabs review, looks like they may have possible quality issues.

appletree

Post by appletree » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:51 pm

I can confirm as well, that mine fan has sound problems regardless of how it is positioned. However all reviews of the TY140 fan I've read so far including viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60968&p=530331 or xbitlabs review state that the fan does not produce any clicking noise (great noise characteristics has of course lot's of to do with why it scored so well in xblitlabs rev). So it is either sample variance or quality went down lately ? (a bit suspicious that 3 out of 3 fans bought recently by people in 3 different parts of world are defective)

Btw it seems like the clicking is temperature sensitive. With opened case at idle & fairly low temps the clicking is probably more annoying than the stock fan at 40% . It actually sounds like geiger counter (radiation detector) - literally (I am tempted to make mp3 record) :lol: At load after the fan "warms up" the clicking completely disappears. Then again, just very gentle push to the table and the clicking is back there - even if for a second or so, but still annoying. Well I expected that for 87€ (including shipping) it should be able to provide quiet operation at least in the 600-800 rpm range, gonna order the Scythe (800 rpm) fan and see what happens.
Last edited by appletree on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:43 pm

It deffo is different fans as the one that came with my graphics card cooler is very noisey. I have 2, the other one i purchased to go on my cpu heatsink. I have swapped them round and now the graphics card is quiet but the cpu heatsink is noisey. The fan that made the noise horizontally, makes the same noise vertically now, How annoying!

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:58 am

Erm, notice a patern here? Certain fans dont like hanging horizontal. Ive tested a bunch of them a while ago. The ones that came out best were the BeQuiet SilentWings but they're not PWM and have a great mounthing system for casefan-purpose, but I doubt they fit on a Shaman.