Zalman passive GPU cooler

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheJTrain

Zalman passive GPU cooler

Post by TheJTrain » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:40 am

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/cnpsvga2.htm

Anybody used this one or seen it used by anyone? I'm thinking this guy with a Zalman bracket/Panaflo fan would be all the cooling the GPU would need, and hopefully be quieter than the stock fan.

Jason

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:45 am

Depends on the GPU, but probably. I doubt the GeforceFX 5800 would work with this type of setup.

TheJTrain

Post by TheJTrain » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:54 am

Thanks miker. Doing some more looking into it I discovered that it requires the use of thermal adhesive to mount. I've never used thermal adhesive before - is it really unremovable once mounted? I'm a little leery gluing something to my video card that I can't remove if I decide it doesn't work well enough.

Yeah, probably the 5800 wouldn't like it, but I've read enough to stay away from that thing! I've got a GF3 non-Ti right now, but getting a GF4 Ti4200 in the mail today, and thinking about replacing the cooler if it's too loud (though it's the MSI model, which purportedly has a very quiet fan), as well as thinking ahead to a FX5900 Ultra sometime in the future.

Thanks!
Jason

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:27 am

Hi JTrain,

I've used that ZM17CU cooler on lots of cards, including the Radeon 8500 128MB Retail and the TI4600 cards. Except for one time, I've always used a Zalman bracket with undervolted 80mm fan along with this cooler, which (with the right fan) is nice and silent. The only card I've used this cooler with, but fanless, is a Radeon 7500 Retail which works great too.

Once I needed to remove this fan after the thermal epoxy had set for about a year, and with a quick twist of a flat-head screwdriver underneath, it popped right off without leaving any epoxy behind on the card (there was dried-up epoxy left on the cooler though). Since this was the only time I've removed one of them, I don't know if it is always that easy to do (?)

It's a good cooler, and I'd use a Zalman bracket with it when the video card is GF3-class or above for sure...

8)

TheJTrain

Post by TheJTrain » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:01 am

Cool, thanks for the good news, al bundy! I'm just now reading SPCR's review of the ARM Stealth PC and it uses this HS on a MX400 card, with an overhead fan as well.

Jason

cliche

Post by cliche » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:21 pm

al bundy wrote:Hi JTrain,

Once I needed to remove this fan after the thermal epoxy had set for about a year, and with a quick twist of a flat-head screwdriver underneath, it popped right off without leaving any epoxy behind on the card (there was dried-up epoxy left on the cooler though). Since this was the only time I've removed one of them, I don't know if it is always that easy to do (?)

It's a good cooler, and I'd use a Zalman bracket with it when the video card is GF3-class or above for sure...

8)

At last! someone who has tried to remove thermal epoxy from their gfx card !
Gonna risk it methinx, wish me luck :?

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:55 am

I stuck one on to my Radeon using Chomerics Thermattach tape. Still holding, despite the weight of the Zalman.