Single slot, fanless (or ultra quiet) nvidia card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BorisTheSpider

Single slot, fanless (or ultra quiet) nvidia card

Post by BorisTheSpider » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I have 2 GTX580s on water. I need a third card for an extra display, and due to motherboard slot positioning it must be true single-slot, as a sound card will be directly below it. I want to stick with nvidia, as I don't want any issues with having multiple display drivers installed.

What are my options for an extremely quiet, or preferable passive, single-slot nvidia card?

The card will only be required to run 2d apps, so doesn't need to be very powerful. If it was something fast enough to use as dedicated physx for the 580s when not using it's displays, that would be nice, but it is in no way a requirement and the only priorities are that it be cheap and silent.

cheers

JazzJackRabbit

Re: Single slot, fanless (or ultra quiet) nvidia card

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:07 pm

I ran GT210 or maybe GT220 fanless without any issues for two years. I just got the reference fanned design and simply removed the fan and it was fine. But if you want a little piece of mind you can get this card with a little beefier heatsink. BTW why won't you just run two monitors from one of your 580's?

BorisTheSpider

Re: Single slot, fanless (or ultra quiet) nvidia card

Post by BorisTheSpider » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks. I don't think removing a fan will work out well for me since it will be directly above another card, so will have no natural airflow - in fact, even a passive card by design may have problems because of that, but I have found this -http://www.quietpc.com/vnf100 which looks good for my application, since it puts the heatsink above the card and since the card would be in the uppermost slot on my board that would work really well.

Ref why not a second monitor off my 580s, I am rejigging my displays, and want to put my 3 monitors in surround, plus a projector on the 580s, so all their outputs will be taken.