Does anyone actually own Inno3D iChill GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jackhulk

Does anyone actually own Inno3D iChill GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000

Post by jackhulk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Hello

My past two video cards have all been passive (Radeon HD5750 / HD5770), and apart from various driver, I've been very happy with performance and all course the silents these cards bring.

I now need an Nvidia card for CUDA purposes, but the passive Nvidia range is seriously lacking (cough 640 or nadda!), and so having to consider going back to active card again, most likely the 660 range, but I need the card to be as quite as possible. Before I took the passive router I opted for the Palit GTX 275 as reviews stated this was a very quite card, but I found it to be very noisy when gaming, and so am reluctant to going back to active cards again. I have a Silverstone Fortress FT02 and the loudest noise coming from that at present is the system fans, which are set to medium. It's a pleasant hum and so would like to keep it that way if possible, so quietness of active card is the main sell for me.

I've whittled my short list down to...

ASUS GTX 660 DirectCU II TOP
Inno3D iChill GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000s

The iChill wins for me due to slightly better performance and because it's even quieter than the ASUS offering, however, even though there are many reviews out there, it doesn't seem this card is on sale anywhere in the world! I spent over a hour searching online last night and couldn't find a single store within the UK selling ANY iChill cards. I picked up snippets of others complaining about the same problem and a quick search on this forum shows this seems to have always been a problem with the iChill range. I did find Germany stocked the higher models, but alas no GTX 660. It seems this card is not available on planet Earth?!

Inno website shows just one UK distributor, however even they do not stock the iChill range. I emailed Inno asking who in the UK stocks IChill and they advised
Please contact Ebuyer and request for product then they should order from us.

The other option is to buy directly from us but that would incur international delivery.
Contacted Ebuyer, but they was next to useless, and don't fancy ordering from afar in case of needing to RMA.

Unless any one knows where I can get hold of iChill GTX 660, it looks like I will be getting the ASUS GTX 660, unless anyone knows of a quieter card please? I was pretty much dead set on getting this card as many of the reviews stated the card was extremely quiet, but then I read a few reviews stating the card was loud, so I really don't know what to think. Can a few owners give their opinion please?

Thank you

CA_Steve

Re: Does anyone actually own Inno3D iChill GTX 660 HerculeZ

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 am

You have to be careful with the Gfx card's heatpipe orientation in the FT02. Silverstone has a FAQ in the Q&A section at the bottom of the FT02 product page.

Here's a list of GTX 660 reviews with acoustic testing. I like the MSI cards for their VRM cooling.