It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I somehow quite down my PNY 750ti?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:53 am 

I made a huge mistake and trusted newegg/amazon reviews on how silent this card is. Well it isn't. It's the loudest part in my build.
Can I do something about it? Is it possible to replace only the fan?

I have Thermaltake V1 Core miniITX case so I doubt any of the after market coolers would fit.

Post subject: Re: Can I somehow quite down my PNY 750ti?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:06 pm 

If the adjustment of the GPU fan - if at all possible - hasn't produced good enough results, then a fan swap is probably a decent way forward.

Although slightly ghetto-ish, taking the fan and fan shroud off, strapping on a 140/120mm fan with zip ties and connecting it to the motherboard could be enough cooling. It is only a 60W TDP card after all. Hopefully motherboard fan control should allow you to adjust it to your noise/temperature liking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:51 am 

banditas wrote:
I have Thermaltake V1 Core miniITX case so I doubt any of the after market coolers would fit.

Check the actual measures against the Arctic Cooling S1 Plus ones.

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 pm 

Ren0ir wrote:
If the adjustment of the GPU fan - if at all possible - hasn't produced good enough results, then a fan swap is probably a decent way forward.

Although slightly ghetto-ish, taking the fan and fan shroud off, strapping on a 140/120mm fan with zip ties and connecting it to the motherboard could be enough cooling. It is only a 60W TDP card after all. Hopefully motherboard fan control should allow you to adjust it to your noise/temperature liking.

I have done exactly that with my MSI 750Ti and the 140mm cooler of my Thermalright HR-02 Macho. But in a m-ITX case that might be difficult... The built in fan was unbearably loud for me even at the slowest speed since otherwise I don't have any fans running except the PSU which is quite quiet.
Before I applied this solution, I had another ghetto-ish solution. I disconnected the fan from the GPU-PCB and connected it with jumper wires to the fan controller of my case (3 Modes: 0V, 6V, 12V). As long as I don't run any games, the GPU stays well below 60°C without any fans running. The loud fan only had to spin while gaming when I don't care as much about a silent PC.
Your mileage may wary because I have a huge case with lots of vents without a hot CPU etc. But at least my 750Ti with a quiet 140mm fan and SpeedFan is inaudible as long as I don't have furmark running. The only time I can hear the fan is when the GPU goes over 70°C and the fan is starting. It then revs up to about 800-900 rpm for a few seconds until the temp is down to under 70°C where the fan continues to run with 500-600 rpm and is inaudible and shuts down when the temps go under 60°C. This works great so far, but I haven't done any real gaming with this new setup.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 pm 

What kind of temps and fan rpms do you see at idle and when gaming?

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:23 am 

CA_Steve wrote:
What kind of temps and fan rpms do you see at idle and when gaming?

I'm currently on holiday, so I will check when I come back.