GTX 750Ti sips power

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aerial

Re: GTX 750Ti sips power

Post by aerial » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:59 am

Msi gaming 750ti fanless, with xigmatek bifrost (http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=124) cooler:
Note that xigmatek cooler is not anything special in terms of efficiency, I picked it mainly for the looks (anodized black). I suspect it is about as good as accelero s1 plus (given the size and amount of heatpipes). It is good enough.

cpu box was replaced with hr-22.
Temps in games ~60-65C.
In most demanding ones without vsynch where load stays at 100% all the time, it stays below 80 (which is the limit that causes throttling).
I did lower powerlimit in afterburner to minimum of 77%.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 am

@aerial - great photography. And the Xigmatek cooler does look really nice. Would be interested in build pics.

aerial

Post by aerial » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:27 am

I will post everything in gallery sometime soon, not finished yet.
My goal is to build fanless spec, with that 750ti and i7 2700k cooled by hr-22. Cpu turned out to be little tricky, but settled at 4ghz @ 1.1v. Psu used in this build is RM750, which never turns on the fan (it did not turn it, even with gtx770 and 2700k @ 5ghz and high voltage).
Last moving part in the build is one mechanical 2,5'' drive, which is 5400 wd blue. If you put ear close to it, there is slight "woosh" sound.
I'm planning to just slap 2m long esata cable, and put this drive far away from my station, somewhere in the closet for example. Should be far superior to any box type of solution like scythe quiet drives. I need around 500gb of storage, and ssd of that size are still too expensive.

edit: here is my thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67691

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:39 pm

where did you get the bifrost?

Can't find that at Amazon.com

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:00 am

Techno Pride wrote:where did you get the bifrost?

Can't find that at Amazon.com
It's an about 5-years old discontinued product: I guess it's quite hard to source it as new, nowadays.

aerial

Post by aerial » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:23 am

It was deal with someone from hardware forums, you can't get it anymore.
But as far as cooling potential goes, I believe accelero s1 plus should be very close if not better.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:04 pm

In case anyone still tempted or wating for the STRIX, even though this is not the upcoming 750ti, but a 780 and will release more heat, there is an interesting review from TechPowerUp ASUS GTX 780 Strix 6 GB
Now for the ASUS STRIX's unique feature. As long as temperatures are below 60°C, the fans will not engage, so there is no noise, which is awesome if you work all day and only game rarely. There is no fan noise to distract you as you work. Once you fire up a game and temperatures climb, the fans will engage once the GPU reaches around 65°C. So the fans might not even engage if you play light games.

Once the GPU exceeds 70°C, the fans ramp up very quickly, though, and end up relatively noisy during gaming. I'm not sure why ASUS chose such an aggressive fan profile, but it seems to run the fans a bit too fast in active mode. This may be a limitation of the STRIX technology.

I'm not sure if the noise difference is worth it compared to a quiet GTX 780 unless you are a low-noise freak. The quietest GTX 780 we ever tested is MSI's GTX 780 Gaming 3 GB (the 6 GB version is noisier). In idle, MSI's card obviously spins its fans, but it is also so quiet that you will not hear a subjective noise difference to the ASUS STRIX with its fans at a full stop.

With just 30 dBA, which is just a fraction of the noise the ASUS STRIX produces, the MSI is also very quiet during gaming.
Lets hope the less heat the GTX750ti might make the strix version work out better than the gtx780 or maybe Asus can revised their vbios fan profile, that has happened before with the GTX780 DCUII.
Update: ASUS sent me an updated BIOS that improves gaming noise levels of the card dramatically. NVIDIA's Boost 2.0 tries to manually adjust fan speed levels to avoid sudden changes. ASUS did not take this mechanism into account, so the card ended up running higher fan speeds than intended. With the new BIOS, the card reaches 72°C under load (good), and noise levels are reduced by 6 dBA (very good). You can find the updated BIOS here, but it will also be included on all retail cards.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:42 am

I read the same review. At first I wasn't too taken aback by the ranking, but then I looked at the actual figures. It's just a poor show on Asus' part.

Definitely holding back on the purchase until there is reliable verification regarding the noise and RPM levels of the (or any) card. Too often the manufacturers just cock it all up with the cooling - active, passive or semipassive - by having the RPM way too high and the noise way too rough under load. I would rather have a smooth if subjectively louder soundscape than one with massive or frequent shifts in tone and volume.

The MSI 650 Ti I have now is at best quiet-but-noticeable, but since it doesn't have to spin up very much, it fades away quite pleasantly and stays in the lower dB and RPM ranges.

aerial

Post by aerial » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 am

When it comes to gtx750ti, the msi gaming model is really quiet.
Fan locked at 32% (can’t get it lower while connected to card pcb), runs fans at around 900RPM.
These fans are about 100mm diameter, very slim, run really quiet. You can compare it to regular 120mm fan at very low speed (400rpm?), considered as near silent. You can only hear those fans when you put your ear right next to it.
Locking fan speed in msi afterburner, ensures they will never increase their speed. Cooler is efficient enough to cool card like that, even under extreme load, depending on case ventilation, you shouldn’t exceed 60C core temp. In my benchtable, it never goas above 50, but ventilation is close to perfect there, as there is no case thus no warm air building around card.
I can highly recommend that card model to everyone here, there is really no need for passive solutions, if stock cooler with two quiet fans is this good. I absolutely cannot hear this card from 1m distance, without any barrier in form of a computer case (so if you put it inside normal case it gets even better). Cooler is so quiet, that there is no point of swapping it with any aftermarket solutions with highest quality 120mm pwm fans, there is just no need.

You can find the xigmatek cooler swap on top of this page. I got rid of it, went back to stock cooler, saved money, and there is no difference in perceivable noise levels for me.
I've made a mistake, ordering aftermarket cooler, before actually trying the stock card. Based on my previous experience, I was sure it will suck, ramping up too high during load.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:31 am

Thanks for the input, aerial, the MSI sounds just about perfect indeed (just gotta watch out for those leaky bearings).

The STRIX system's main attraction - for me at least - is that it's something progressive, something outside the box, if not exactly an innovation. The GPU cooler space has been very much stagnant in recent years with just more fans or materials (copper, mainly) getting added to the basic heatpipe concept and not many if any silence-oriented versions released.

Had there been a passive 650 Ti at the time, I would have happily bought one at a 30% premium (180 vs 140 EUR). 8)

UK_Peter

Post by UK_Peter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:18 am

aerial wrote:When it comes to gtx750ti, the msi gaming model is really quiet.
Has anyone tried the other two MSI models? I'm curious if they are as quiet as their lengths are more compatible with small builds.

Sadly the Galaxy low-profile 750Ti is not a quiet card.

aerial

Post by aerial » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:16 am

One thing you can be sure, if there is simple aluminium brick, with no heatpipes at all, this will have trouble during heavy loads.
750ti chip doesn't need powerful cooler, but seems like even 2 heatpipes are really making the difference.

I remember having HD7770 with simple aluminium cooler (no hp), and it was very loud in stress, also high temperatures. It is warmer card overall, but not that far from 750ti.

UK_Peter

Post by UK_Peter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:46 pm

FWIW I've put all the 750Ti cards I could find into a spreadsheet.

Please add columns and data as you see fit.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:58 am

ASUS Releases Strix GTX 750 Ti OC Graphics Card
ASUS today announced Strix GTX 750 Ti OC, a new graphics cards powered by the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics-processing unit (GPU) and designed for players who like to game on the edge of instinct. Taken from the ancient Roman and Greek word for owl, Strix is the brand name for the stunning new ASUS gaming-gear series.

Strix means the keenest hearing and sharpest eyesight and the ability to feel the environment, enabling the player to detect and react to even the slightest movement. Strix means survival on the very edge of instinct. Strix is in gamers' blood, just as it is in ours.

Strix GTX 750 Ti OC is packed with exclusive ASUS technologies, including DirectCU II for cooler, quieter and faster performance for incredible action gaming, and 0dB-cooling technology for light gameplay in total silence and Blu-ray movie playback that's free from distracting background noise.

The new card also features exclusive ASUS Super Alloy Power components for enhanced durability and cooling, and GPU Tweak for overclocking and online streaming that's as simple as it is flexible.

Strix GTX 750 Ti OC is fitted with 2 GB of high-speed GDDR5 video memory and races along at boosted speeds of up to 1202 MHz.

Play in total silence, and 7.7% faster and 58% cooler than reference
Strix GTX 750 Ti OC is equipped with exclusive DirectCU II cooling technology. This innovative design puts highly-conductive 6mm copper cooling pipes in direct contact with a card's GPU, so heat is dissipated quickly and with extreme efficiency. The new card also benefits from a heat-sink that delivers a heat-dissipation area that's 190% larger than reference, allowing Strix GTX 750 Ti OC to perform 58% cooler and run three-times (3X) quieter than reference for ultra-stable hardcore gaming with very low noise.

When playing at high-definition (HD) resolutions of up to 1920 x 1080 pixels, and in environmental temperatures of up to 50°C, the Strix GTX 750 Ti OC automatically stop its fan - allowing gamers to enjoy titles like Counter-Strike Online in absolute (0dB) silence.

Built for durability, designed to perform
Strix GTX 750 Ti OC is built with Super Alloy Power components for enhanced durability and cooling. Solid-state capacitors, concrete-core chokes and hardened MOSFETs are all designed to withstand much greater stress thanks to the application of specially-formulated materials. Super Alloy Power technology also reduces power noise such as buzzing and increases a graphics card's longevity by up to two-and-a-half times (2.5X) greater than reference.

Strix GTX 750 Ti OC also includes GPU Tweak, an ASUS-exclusive tool that enables users to control GPU speeds, voltages and video-memory clock speeds in real time - so overclocking is both easy and can be carried out with high confidence.

GPU Tweak's built-in streaming tool lets users share on-screen action over the internet in real time, meaning others can watch live as games are played. It's even possible to add a title to the streaming window along with scrolling text, pictures and webcam images.

AVAILABILITY & PRICING
Strix GTX 750 Ti OC will be available worldwide from the end of July 2014.

SPECIFICATIONS
STRIX-GTX750TI-OC-2GD5

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
- PCI Express 3.0
- 2048MB (2 GB) GDDR5 memory
- 1124 MHz base clock speed
- 1202 MHz boosted speed
- 5400 MHz memory clock
- 128-bit memory interface
- 1 x Dual-link DVI-I output
- 1 x DisplayPort output
- 1 x HDMI output

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:11 am

Cool beans. Now to hope Asus didn't hose the 50C+ fan rpm profile.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:13 am

Ditto, Steve. Also, I wonder how the SPCR review is doing - AFAIK the process is underway with a donor MSI.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 am

Asus should give a GTX750Ti STRIX to SPCR to be tested, this is probably meant more for us than any other reviewing site =(

UK_Peter

Post by UK_Peter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 am

Abula wrote:Asus should give a GTX750Ti STRIX to SPCR to be tested, this is probably meant more for us than any other reviewing site =(
If you're on Twitter, please join me in pestering ASUS to donate one to SPCR.

UK_Peter

Post by UK_Peter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 am

Palit have released a passively cooled 750 Ti: http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/721 ... 0ti-cards/

The cooler tall! They don't say how tall in their specification though.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:22 am

UK_Peter wrote:Palit have released a passively cooled 750 Ti: http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/721 ... 0ti-cards/

The cooler tall! They don't say how tall in their specification though.
Nice! Palit has had both expensive and budget stuff, I hope this lands somewhere in the middle. I don't mind paying a premium if the cooling works properly, but there is competition in the passive arena now (in the STRIX, mainly).

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Nice! Palit has had both expensive and budget stuff, I hope this lands somewhere in the middle.
115 euro for the GTX 750 and 140 euro for the GTX 750Ti according to the link in this post.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:48 am

Tephras wrote:
Das_Saunamies wrote:Nice! Palit has had both expensive and budget stuff, I hope this lands somewhere in the middle.
115 euro for the GTX 750 and 140 euro for the GTX 750Ti according to the link in this post.
Thanks; I've been so busy (and lazy) that I just keep up with the posts I have subscribed to. :wink:

Edit: spotted in the wild, http://www.multitronic.fi/showprod.php? ... 00941H&b=1. That'll be 160 initially, in line with the MSI Gaming version (150) with identical clock speeds reported. We'll see what's what if and when a review comes out.

derekva

Post by derekva » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 am

For the record, I was easily able to install an Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 without issue (e.g. no card modifications) on an EVGA GTX 750Ti. I'm using it with a 92mm Scythe PWM fan and it is inaudible from my chair and I have no heat issues even at full loading.

-D

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Damn they are still pricey. Is £120 normal?

My poor passive HD3870 died today and I was pondering about a replacement.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Cistron wrote:Damn they are still pricey. Is £120 normal?
PCPartpicker shows some (fanned models) a bit cheaper.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Cistron wrote:Damn they are still pricey. Is £120 normal?
PCPartpicker shows some (fanned models) a bit cheaper.
Thanks Steve.

I've already conceded to the fact that fanless cards currently aren't high on the priority list of manufacturers. Shame.

achaw

Post by achaw » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:58 am

Yesterday i bought my Zotac 750ti 2GB with no power connections. Im impressed. Amazing card, small, silent and efficient.
But, like i read on this post, min fan on this model is 33%. It's not really loud, but is audible. I try Kepler Bios Tweaker with no luck.
My old card was an EVGA 460. I edited the bios on that model via an hex editor, thanks to this forum (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=60595)...

Maybe we can do something similar here...via hex...

aerial

Post by aerial » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:00 am

msi gaming 750ti vs mk-26
never seen more than 60C under heavy load, but case is ventilated

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:36 am

aerial wrote:msi gaming 750ti vs mk-26
never seen more than 60C under heavy load, but case is ventilated
Another "black beauty", congrats! :wink:

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:37 pm

very nice outcome aerial, jealous of the mk26 black =)