GTX 750 Ti - 3 months on, no passive cards - any ideas why?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sipitai

GTX 750 Ti - 3 months on, no passive cards - any ideas why?

Post by sipitai » Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi everyone,

As per the title, its been 3 months since the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti was released and, at least from what I can tell, there haven't been any passive versions of this card released, or even announced.

Which seems a bit strange to me as it would appear to be an ideal candidate for passive cooling.

Does any one have any insight, or thoughts, as to why we're yet to see any progress in this regard?

edh

Re: GTX 750 Ti - 3 months on, no passive cards - any ideas w

Post by edh » Wed May 21, 2014 6:43 am

It'll all come down to cost. A small, cheap heat sink and fan costs less than a big passive heat sink. If there is going to be a price premium for a passive heatsink then less people will buy it so economies of scale also weigh against it.

Is it a major catastrophe? No because Accelero S1 heatsinks are not an expensive upgrade - they might even be less than the price premium you would expect on a factory built passive card once all supply chain costs are factored in.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed May 21, 2014 8:38 am

I agree with edh, the S1 should be a decent match for the low TDP of the MSI GTX750TI, i just recieved my S1 and 750TI, but having second thoughts into using it, really going to come down how the PWM design is on the the card and if ill be able to control a 120mm pwm fan or not, else i might just leave it with the stock cooler.

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Mon May 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah the Accelero S1 Plus is my backup plan, but I'd prefer a "stock" passive card.

I was really just wondering if there was a specific reason why passive versions of this card aren't getting made.

Abula - It would be great if you could let me know how many mm the S1 Plus extends past the card's case mounting bracket. I have a tower case that is quite narrow, and that measurement will help me figure out if its going to fit.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Well i decide against installing it, mostly because i cant hear the twin frozr fans on my setup, for me its good enough.

The only way i could help you with your request is to measure it backwards, like to try to align the mouting of the S1 to the back of the card trying to match the mouting holes so you can get an idea of the height. Let me know if this is good for your intented purpose, and i can do it on maybe ends of the week or saturday.

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi Abula. That would be great, but only if its not too much trouble for you to do so. I can always bend the heat-pipes if it doesn't fit :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 am

sipitai wrote:Hi Abula. That would be great, but only if its not too much trouble for you to do so. I can always bend the heat-pipes if it doesn't fit :)
I took a couple of pictures, to the best that i could tell from aligning the mounting holes from the back, hope it helps you.

In case the picture gets confusing about the measurement you asked, mostly cause of the reflections.... its around 2 + 1/4 inches to the metal bracket.

But a final warning, the MSI GTX750Ti Twin Frozr is a none standard custom PCB, so if you buy another brand measurements could be different.

Btw if you install it measure before and after temps, in idle and load, to see how the S1 couples with GTX750ti.

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks Abula. Those measurements and pictures are very helpful.

That said it looks like it wont fit in my case unfortunately. Looks like I'll have to do some bending :)

fri2219

Post by fri2219 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:59 am

To answer the question posed in the topic:

You aren't in the target market for this device. It is intended for cryptography-based coin mining.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:42 pm

fri2219 wrote:To answer the question posed in the topic:

You aren't in the target market for this device. It is intended for cryptography-based coin mining.
OK, that's a bit leftfield now. Care to elaborate? I'm not for bitcoin mining in any shape or form of course but the GTX750 is a fine graphics card and definitely the best we have seen in terms of performance versus cost and power so far.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:54 pm

edh wrote:
fri2219 wrote:To answer the question posed in the topic:

OK, that's a bit leftfield now. Care to elaborate? I'm not for bitcoin mining in any shape or form of course but the GTX750 is a fine graphics card and definitely the best we have seen in terms of performance versus cost and power so far.
He is probably more speaking into the fanless version, although atm is thin air no models have ever been seen.