Coil whine my archnemesis!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IncubusBob

Coil whine my archnemesis!

Post by IncubusBob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm trying my hand at creating a quiet gaming pc. So far so good, I have a two fan system with is inaudible when my ear is more than six inches away. But that is without a video card, and there I have hit a wall with coil/electronic whine.

I started with an EVGA GTX 770, that had a lot of it. Then tried a Gigabyte GTX 770, that had less. Bought a Gigabyte 270x board, which also had a lot. Then got a replacement EVGA GTX 770 which has just as much as the first. After four different cards, I have given up hope of finding a quiet one. I hear stories of people coating their boards in nail polish and superglue out of desperation.

But I have to wonder. Are there people out there with Nvidia GTX 600-700 series cards that don't squeal? Are Nvidia technicians deaf from poor working conditions? Is there any hope?

Ears ringing,
-IBob.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Coil whine my archnemesis!

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 am

I've been blessed with whine-free components mostly, since I like the low power stuff. So my personal experience is limited. But I hear that it's sometimes more than one component involved. Not only the card itself, but the PSU and maybe the motherboard. Test a different PSU if you can.

IncubusBob

Post by IncubusBob » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Well its a good idea, but I can hear that the buzzing is coming from the video card. The power supply might be contributing some, but if so it is not much.

gsilver

Post by gsilver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 am

I've only experienced coil whine when dealing with extremely high framerates in older games.
Turing on V-Sync should cap your framerate and deal with the issue.

But, if you're dealing with coil whine at typical frame rates, you may have a bad card.
...Though I'd definitely look into V-Sync, first.