XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

amaq01

XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes

Post by amaq01 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible for a better solution.

I have been experiencing strange clicking sounds [please see link] coming from my XFX HD 4850 lately [or it can be from PSU?].

I have been using this card since 2009 [5 years].

It used to be very rare, only at bootup, but ever since I have started playing Bioshock infinite, it has become much more frequent.

Initially I did not get any problems playing, but last time I could only manage 1 hr and then 30 mins before pc crashed.

Today when I started the pc, there was not any of that sound, but after 40 minutes the hideous sound started and after few seconds pc shutdown.

This happened again and again with shorter time frames.

Interesting thing is I did not even played the game, was only browsing the potential problem on the net.

Turns out it can either be:

-Some hindrance in fans spinning
-Coil whine
-PSU problem

I couldn't pinpoint the exact problem, I tried listening to it very closely, could only guess that it was coming from gpu, it also seemed very hot.

Using GPUz, I started monitoring and gpu temp went from 60-70C range to 119C within 25 minutes before it shut down! So it seems gpu is the reason.

I put a bit of load [23%] on gpu by emulating a game in pj64 during that time.

I had got my power outlets checked by a voltmeter few days ago, the electrician said they were fine.

My desktop airflow is good, never had a high temp problem with my cpu and 1 side of the cover is always open.

My questions are:

-Can I underclock my gpu so that it consumes less power?

-Do i need to install ccc, since I haven't earlier?

-I used an air blower a couple of months ago and also cleaned the gpu with a brush, did'nt find much dust or any object blocking the fans.

I can't rma since I had a bad time doing that in the last few times[other h/w, long wait]. Also I don't have a built in gfx with this build.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Link[screens and audio]:
moderator: removed downloadable file link. You can upload images here and maybe post the audio on Youtube or something.

GPUZ min/max temps:

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed (%) [%] , Fan Speed (RPM) [RPM] , GPU Load [%] , GPU Temp.(DISPIO) [°C] , GPU Temp.(MEMIO) [°C] , GPU Temp.(SHADERCORE) [°C] , Memory Usage (Dedicated) [MB] , Memory Usage (Dynamic) [MB] , VDDC [V] ,

2014-12-03 08:50:03 , 165.0 , 990.6 , 64.0 , 57 , 1114 , 0 , 64.5 , 68.5 , 68.0 , 8 , 8 , 1.258 ,

2014-12-03 09:22:55 , 165.0 , 990.6 , 119.0 , 100 , 135 , 9 , 119.5 , 123.5 , 121.5 , 30 , 30 , 1.258 ,

Update:

After i cleaned my pc again with air blower and also the gpu separately, tested the system.

Starting temps were better [from 60c instead of 75c] and biggest difference was the dramatic reduction in fans rpm [previously 262 and now 50-70 rpm] and noise.

But bad news is during those 15-20 mins, the gpu temps kept rising again [even at 0% gpu load], and once i put a bit of load on gpu [15-20%, via pj64 emulater] it rose to 120c before pc shutdown again.

So does it means I have to apply thermal paste too? Or can this be fixed if i update the gpu driver?

Please, any solutions/suggestions will be really appreciated.

CA_Steve

Re: XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashe

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Sounds like you have/had a couple of things going on.
- Dust build up, hence the lower temps and fan rpm. BTW, "previously 262 and now 50-70 rpm" is there a zero missing here? Video fan rpms are typically 800rpm ish and go up into the 1000's.
- If you hear a terrible noise and the temp goes up suddenly at the same time, your gfx fan(s) grinding against something or a bearing is wearing out causing it to slow down/stop cooling the GPU. Put some eyes on it when the sound happens.
- 60C idle temp is still a bit high and the rapid increase at a small load implies the cooler isn't seated well against the gpu. It should be removed, the old thermal paste cleaned off, new paste applied and reseated.

Was this PC jostled or dropped or the gfx card accidently bumped?

XFX has a lifetime warranty for their cards...if none of these things works.