Sapphire R9 270

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bkoehn
Friend of SPCR

Sapphire R9 270

Post by bkoehn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:33 pm

I've just about completed a major update of our home computers.
I sold a pair of AMD-Phenom 7750 (2.70Ghz) w/ 8800 GTS graphics cards
and now have caught up generationally with a pair of PCs built around i5-4690K CPUs.

I'm a bit under budget at this point, but am looking into discrete graphics options.
i'm not a heavy gamer, but more of a hardware snob - i like to have nice stuff, but it can't break the bank!

I have my eye on the GTX 970 (MSI 4G or ASUS STIX) but at $350 each, buying 2 is out of the question now...

The secondary market (craigslist) is full of modern cards. Likely people upgrading the the 970/980!!
I haven't kept up over the years, but it sounds like the Maxwell gen. of GTX cards is going to be the new standard

That said, I'm wondering about getting a couple R9 cards to tide me over in the meantime.
The R9 270 still retails for ~$150. I think i can get a PAIR (from someone's cross-fire setup) for $200.
(Sapphire R9 270 and Sapphire 7870; ...same card)

Let me know if that is a good/great deal, and of course anything regarding the thermal efficiencies and noise from this generation/model of graphics cards.
Also, any suggestions for better value - i.e. Is the R9 280/290 worth looking at? or the GTX 7xx series?

THANKS

CA_Steve

Re: Sapphire R9 270

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm

If you are gaming at 1080p, you might wait for the GTX 960. Intro ~Jan 22. Probably GTX 770 performance at 120W TDP range and ~$200-250.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:26 pm

CA_Steve wrote:~$200-250.
If I didn't get him wrong, he's talking about 2 cards for an under $300 total, while a pair of the upcoming GTX960 would costs to him around $500: I don't think that's what he's looking for, although that Nvidia is a way better card.

Talking about R9 270, the Sapphire isn't particularly quiet: the MSI Gaming is a better pick.

bkoehn
Friend of SPCR

Post by bkoehn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:28 pm

There is so much excitement with regards to the GTX 9xx series
i may elect to wait and see about the 960s
my local micro-center has an 'open-box' eVGA Superclocked GTX 970 for $305.
it would be a stretch, but would keep me from having to consider an upgrade for quite some time.
one concern is that Anandtech found it had "middle of the road noise performance" (FTW version)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:25 am

bkoehn wrote:one concern is that Anandtech found it had "middle of the road noise performance" (FTW version)
Quite often EVGA is not a sensible choice, noise wise: MSI Gaming and ASUS Strix are so, instead.

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:49 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
bkoehn wrote:one concern is that Anandtech found it had "middle of the road noise performance" (FTW version)
Quite often EVGA is not a sensible choice, noise wise: MSI Gaming and ASUS Strix are so, instead.
Standard cooler: yes.
ACX cooler on 9-series cards are ok. I have the 970 SC ACX. It turns off the fans in idle, while gaming it is definitely noticeable.
Most reviews for 9-series ACX cards were done before the zero fan speed update. Anandtech has an update about it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:59 am

boost wrote:while gaming it is definitely noticeable.

Are you able to slow down the cooler fans under load, but still with acceptable temperatures (I mean <78-79 for the GPU, under any scenario)?

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:58 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
boost wrote:while gaming it is definitely noticeable.

Are you able to slow down the cooler fans under load, but still with acceptable temperatures (I mean <78-79 for the GPU, under any scenario)?
I checked it again with the case's side panel off.
The maximum temperature I saw was 75° with close to 1400 RPM fan speed and below 55° the fan turns off. The fan curve looks good.
The problem seems to occur when the fan speed goes above 1260 RPM. Below that speed It's perfectly fine. Above a threshhold the noise level seems to increase quite suddenly. It's a wind noise, maybe amplified by the fan shroud.
I'll take the shroud off and replace the fans with two 92mm Noctuas. The card has a normal (small GPU) 4 pin PWM fan connector (one reason I didn't buy MSI or ASUS) so I can just connect the fans with an adapter and Y-cable. I finally found my new case, a Silverstone Kublai KL06 (Temjin Tj-08 variant with 120mm fans and 2.5" HDD rack), it was just announced a two days ago. I'll try the modification when I get it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:22 pm

boost wrote:I finally found my new case, a Silverstone Kublai KL06 (Temjin Tj-08 variant with 120mm fans and 2.5" HDD rack), it was just announced a two days ago.

Yeah, Kublai-series is offering now some interesting designs at a relatively inexpensive levels (lots of plastic), that spacious KL05 (maybe enough to quietly cool a SLI/CF), the clever KL04 (Temjin Tj-04E variant), and now that one: your one would seem a very good pick, boost.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:51 am

Lots and lots of plastic. The worst front panel between the Tj08 PS07 and this.
I plan to buy a pre-dampened variant by Caseking. The case has previously been presented at Computex 2014. I Hope I don't have to wait too long for a release.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am

boost wrote:Lots and lots of plastic. The worst front panel between the Tj08 PS07 and this.

Well, I worked inside a KL04 a year ago, it's not that bad, and in my experience it's better than Precision-series (although I didn't worked a PS07, I don't think it's better than its siblings).

boost wrote:I plan to buy a pre-dampened variant by Caseking.

In my humble opinion those damping kits may matter mostly with aluminium (or way light) enclosures, but just because they are going to modify the resonance frequencies, add some (little) mass and/or some stiffening (so not because they really dampen/absorb any "noise"): not to mention that usually inner temps will noticeably suffer by the use of damping kit (also cleaning may become an issue, but YMMV).

In my opinion plastic, although less than acrylic or composite sheets (like the Solo/P18X ones), is way better in this respect (than aluminium or light steel), and I recall the KL04's plastic as decent for the price (so I hope the KL06 may be similar in this respect).

BTW, I think we're going too far into OT now. :mrgreen:

cerbie

Post by cerbie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:06 pm

boost wrote:Lots and lots of plastic. The worst front panel between the Tj08 PS07 and this.
I plan to buy a pre-dampened variant by Caseking. The case has previously been presented at Computex 2014. I Hope I don't have to wait too long for a release.
The TJ08-e and PS07 versions have some clever construction that helps prevent vibration transferring about the case (foam bumpers on the top panel, the fan mount panel being allowed to vibrate some without much of it touching the case, and use of moderately soft steel). I tried adding foam and MLV to mine, and it made no difference at all (now my case has a light citrus scent, from all the Goo Gone used to remove the stuff ;)). Video card fan noise comes out the back and top vents, primarily, with some through the front, so there's just not a lot to absorb, compared to what can shoot right out of the case. Try make baffles, and you'll lose a lot of space and cooling efficacy.

If you want that case, just get a video card that is sufficiently quiet from the start, and/or modify the card to what extent you need to. I think you'd be disappointed with results from trying to block or absorb noise or vibration, if adding 33 to the side panels doesn't do it, for an insufficiently-isolated HDD (generic turns-into-goo electrical tape? No thank you!).

bkoehn
Friend of SPCR

Post by bkoehn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 pm

I was able to pick up a pair of R9 280x cards.
One for each machine!
I negotiated an Asus Direct CU TOP II for $140, and an MSI Twin Frozr for $130.

I know these are 'hot' cards - but for the price on craigslist - i feel it was worth it. At least as an admirable stop gap until i can upgrade to the GTX970.

Performance has been great at 1080p. And i've also played a bit the 3 screen eyefinity - which is really fun!
Noise has not been an issue while not gaming. And while under load > gaming < i'm too immersed in the experience to notice, but GPU Tweak is telling me the fans are only running at 40% after an hour of gaming!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm

bkoehn wrote:Noise has not been an issue while not gaming. And while under load > gaming < i'm too immersed in the experience to notice, but GPU Tweak is telling me the fans are only running at 40% after an hour of gaming!

You could try also SpeedFan: in many cases it is able even to stop the graphics fans and transform those AMD cards into semi-passive ones (while it isn't so with Nvidia GeForces).