Anyway to Hex mod the firmware Fan Profile for GTX 580?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chris89

Anyway to Hex mod the firmware Fan Profile for GTX 580?

Post by chris89 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi I have this GTX 580 that on air I'm at 938Mhz core clock which is epic and the power consumption is so high I'd rather not say how much.

Anyway MSI Afterburner has a slope is from 30% 0C to 45% 60C .... then the slope must be at 100% at 80-85C to maintain stability.

This does work fine since my card is highly thermally modded with the reference design and achieves 80C at 100% and even cools down to mid to high 70s at 100% with the thermal material I use.

Anyway I'd like to mod the BIOS to hit the slope in hardware because there has been an ocassion or two where the profile cuts out and the card will hit 99C real quick.

Thanks

quest_for_silence

Re: Anyway to Hex mod the firmware Fan Profile for GTX 580?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Can't you fix it with NiBiToR?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 am

Hi, I modded the BIOS on my Gigabyte GTX 560Ti, IIRC, using NIBiTor for quieter operation.
My main complaint was the minimum fan speed was ridiculously high, probably 50%. About the only thing I could alter with NiBiTor was the minimum fan speed, which I set to 20% successfully. This means the card is much quieter at idle and ramps up slightly slower. I'm on after market heatsink and slow (relatively) fans so it's now fine for me. (~400rpm idle upto 1100rpm furmark)

I've not looked into whether newer version of NiBiTor can alter more of the parameters.
I had a quick look on 'net and judging by this thread things have moved on a bit since.

Better yet have a look here.

You can download the BIOS from your card and open it in the tools to see what's on offer with just about no risk.
Only gets risky when you flash the mod BIOS back to the card. Worst case, I think, you need a PC that can take two video cards, or has onboard gfx to use and then can have another go at flashing BIOS back to messed up card.

Regards, Seb

chris89

Post by chris89 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:28 am

Thanks yeah I bios modded this card already.

It's dangerous to rely on software for these speeds, it must be in hardware to ensure no damage ever occurs.

Fan profile 30% min, 100% max. That however doesn't resolve the way the BIOS tells the fan to go to 100% at around 90C.

I need to just have the bios tell the fan to try not to let the card go over 85C basically.

If the card is at between 75-80C the fan must be at 85-90% to maintain stability because of the heat generated by the voltage regulators.

Can we hex tell the bios to not let the card go over 85C under any circumstance?

Thanks

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 am

chris89 wrote:Thanks yeah I bios modded this card already.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your request.

chris89 wrote:Can we hex tell the bios to not let the card go over 85C under any circumstance?

Again, I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of any positive answer to your need.

chris89

Post by chris89 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:33 am

It's okay I appreciate the help, I guess Nvidia left Nibitor in the dark in terms of fan control...?

Has there been anyone to figure out the reference fan control parameters?