Need Quiet Video Card for 3 monitors

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

arsenal009

Need Quiet Video Card for 3 monitors

Post by arsenal009 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

I have an Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard. I would like to purchase a video card that will allow me to use 3 1080p monitors w/o any issues.

My current video card is an amd radeon hd 6800 series. But i have problems with it when I try using 3 monitors. Any suggestions on a video card I can get, preferably one that's not too loud?

Thanks

Abula

Re: Need Quiet Video Card for 3 monitors

Post by Abula » Sun May 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Are you going to game on it? or is it just for multi tasking?

Most of the new AMD or Nvidia cards should support 3 monitors, what comes is you choosing monitors that have the correct inputs for them, and also not all cards have the same outs.

If you are not gaming, then i would probably chose a GTX750Ti, specially the Asus STRIX that should be passive as long as there is no load on the card, and should still be very quiet if you do mildly load it. But do check what outputs the card has, to crosscheck that monitors you buy have those inputs.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:44 pm

I do a bit of gaming. As long as the card is an upgarde to my current one, I will be happy.

I need 3 monitors to work at the same time. 2 monitors are dvi ports, & 1 TV is hdmi.
Will this card you recommended work for my 3 screens?

I was checking the reviews, & someone mentioned this card as well:
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp ... 00GMGGZQE/

Which do you think is better?

Thanks

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun May 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Gaming is another thing, i don't think its a good idea for single GTX750ti, it even struggles in some games at 1080p, now going into triple screens.... for sure not a good idea. Unless your gaming is like LOL or WOW.

For a single 1080p screen i would recommend the GTX960 or equivalent in AMD. Its still very quiet card, semi passive as the GTX750Ti, i have one on my HTPC/Similator, and i cant hear it, its a good card.

Now for triple 1080p screens.... i would recommend a SLI of GTX970s, maybe a couple of GTX960 (really depends on the game and the quality you will run it). The GTX980 could be an option, even the upcoming GTX980Ti should be a better single card to drive triple mon, although it would be as capable as SLI of GTX970s.

Since you like AMD might be worth waiting for the R390 that's suppose to be released on June, if the rumors are true, it should be a good option for running a triple screen. MSI and Asus seem to be brands that are focusing on very quiet cards, so i would check for those two.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Sorry, I should clarify, I do gaming, but not with all 3 monitors. I do gaming, but I play games like Pro Evolution Soccer or FIFA. That's why I would like at least 2GB vram, so it's better than what I currently have, but I don't need top of the line either.

Is there a video card, that's not too loud, that you can suggest that is able to use 2 DVI monitors & 1 HDMI monitor, all 1080p. No DisplayPorts please.
I also want at least 2gb of vram & want to spend up to $200.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

arsenal009 wrote:Is there a video card, that's not too loud, that you can suggest that is able to use 2 DVI monitors & 1 HDMI monitor, all 1080p. No DisplayPorts please.
I also want at least 2gb of vram & want to spend up to $200.
Its more common 2x DVI on the GTX970 come with, usually the lower end don't come with 2x DVI ports, but there is one, Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards GV-N960G1 GAMING-2GD, comes with 2x DVI ports, 1 HDMI and 3 Display ports.

On AMD i would consider the MSI Computer Corp. Video Graphics Card R9 270 GAMING 2G, 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and DP. One thing about AMD, to what i have seen in multiple monitor setups the card don't downclock, so temps are not drop down as with Nvidia cards on multiple monitor setups, weather its noisy as result of this idk.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:40 pm

I did some research & it seems like the r9 270 requires use of the dp if I want to use 3 monitors.

I was going to get the gtx 960 you recommended, seems like exactly what i need. But I measured my case, i only have a clearance of a couple mm over 28cm & the card is 29.5cm. I won't be able to fit it in my rig. :s
Can you recommend me something else please?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 06, 2015 5:58 pm

There are shorter GTX 960's.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:51 am

Can you recommend me one with the best combination of quality & quietness?

Thanks

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 am

I can't speak to quality as I don't have data on it. As for quiet, lots of them are quiet.

Most of the cards come with only one DVI connector. Displayport is supposed to carry the DVI signals, so you could get a Displayport to DVI adapter and run with it. If so, then the Asus STRIX OC is the shortest. The MSI Gaming OC is another good choice - but it's a tight fit and it's heatpipes stick up higher. Might want to check with the manufacturer's tech support to make sure either supports DVI pass-thru on DP.

The Palit GTX 960 Super Jetstream 2GB is short enough, has 2 DVI and is quiet. Make sure it's height is ok.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:13 am

CA_Steve wrote:I can't speak to quality as I don't have data on it. As for quiet, lots of them are quiet.

Most of the cards come with only one DVI connector. Displayport is supposed to carry the DVI signals, so you could get a Displayport to DVI adapter and run with it. If so, then the Asus STRIX OC is the shortest. The MSI Gaming OC is another good choice - but it's a tight fit and it's heatpipes stick up higher. Might want to check with the manufacturer's tech support to make sure either supports DVI pass-thru on DP.

The Palit GTX 960 Super Jetstream 2GB is short enough, has 2 DVI and is quiet. Make sure it's height is ok.
I couldn't find where to buy the Palit.
Would you recommend this one?: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4439 ... Video_Card

Thanks

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun May 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Sure. There are three reviews of it on the page I linked - the Windforce OC variant.