looking for a "0 rpm GPU" for my system.. GTX960?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

novicemapper

looking for a "0 rpm GPU" for my system.. GTX960?

Post by novicemapper » Tue May 05, 2015 2:33 pm

I'm so torn up by this..
first off, Which GTX960 is the quietest anyways? (seems to me like the MSI gaming one).
I know i shouldn't buy it, because there has to be a 960ti cumming up next (after r9 300 release) that will fit my expectations.
the 960 is really nice but for the price, it sucks. 2GB ram on 128bit which is not much.. and 4GB even.. on the same bandwidth.. which seems absurd because the card isn't even powerful enough to take advantage of that 4GB.

this sound more like a whining topic instead of a normal one.. but is there any sign of a 960ti release any time soon? (970 costs too much for my taste including all it's 4gb stuff).

Abula

Re: looking for a "0 rpm GPU" for my system.. GTX960?

Post by Abula » Tue May 05, 2015 2:51 pm

The GT960 isnt a 0rpm, unless you are at idle, gaming it does turn the fans on.

But easy, if you need a GPU and have the means buy the GTX960, its a good card for 1080p gaming, if you dont need it right away, wait to see what AMD is releasing, although i havent seen anything related directly to this bracket on launch, what i expect is R390/380, but i dont think we will see mid end that fast.

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Tue May 05, 2015 9:12 pm

The card has to be from nvidia.. Because I need their proprietary technologies and I doubt amd will have 0 Rpm option in their space heaters.

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 am

Hi,

I bought a gtx970. It's more powerful, but I think it is slightly on the more expensive part of the price vs. performance curve (though I'm not sure). But from your post, it is not clear what you are actually looking for :D

The exact card I bought was the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ASC 2.0+. It is indeed 0rpm at idle and very quiet a low RPM (and actually the noise is very reasonable at full load). There are other GTX970 that are 0rpm at idle, but certainly not all of them (I think).

Cheers!

EDIT:
Opps, I noticed this part only after posting:
novicemapper wrote:(970 costs too much for my taste including all it's 4gb stuff).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 06, 2015 8:09 am

What's your monitor resolution and applications? Without it we're just providing generic answers.

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Wed May 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Wild Penguin wrote:Hi,

I bought a gtx970. It's more powerful, but I think it is slightly on the more expensive part of the price vs. performance curve (though I'm not sure). But from your post, it is not clear what you are actually looking for :D

The exact card I bought was the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ASC 2.0+. It is indeed 0rpm at idle and very quiet a low RPM (and actually the noise is very reasonable at full load). There are other GTX970 that are 0rpm at idle, but certainly not all of them (I think).

Cheers!

EDIT:
Opps, I noticed this part only after posting:
novicemapper wrote:(970 costs too much for my taste including all it's 4gb stuff).
if the 970 didn't have that memory "feature" i would totally buy it, without any hesitations, but i don't want to pay loads of cash with that kind of flaw.
CA_Steve wrote:What's your monitor resolution and applications? Without it we're just providing generic answers.
VG248QE 1920x1080.
playing some CSGO, Quake Live, Unreal Tournament, Total War Games and GTA V from time to time (FPS/RTS kinda guy).
using all kind of Adobe programs and Autodesk 3d programs, Unreal Engine 4, Hammer for Source engine, Blender.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 pm

None of those apps will stress a GTX 960 at 1080 except:
- GTA V with high textures (and need 3GB memory)...and that really wants a GTX 980. Normal textures gives 59fps for the GTX 960.
- I can't speak for Autodesk.

The 128-bit memory bandwidth is a non-issue at 1080p. Nvidia's memory compression scheme makes up for it at this resolution. If you were running 1440p or higher it's a different discussion.

Yeah, I expect a GTX 960 Ti, too when there's a comparable AMD 300 series part...this summer maybe.

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Wed May 06, 2015 2:49 pm

CA_Steve wrote:None of those apps will stress a GTX 960 at 1080 except:
- GTA V with high textures (and need 3GB memory)...and that really wants a GTX 980. Normal textures gives 59fps for the GTX 960.
- I can't speak for Autodesk.

The 128-bit memory bandwidth is a non-issue at 1080p. Nvidia's memory compression scheme makes up for it at this resolution. If you were running 1440p or higher it's a different discussion.

Yeah, I expect a GTX 960 Ti, too when there's a comparable AMD 300 series part...this summer maybe.
thank you, i think i'll wait for a little while and see what the 300 series will cause nvidia to do.

UHF

Post by UHF » Sun May 10, 2015 6:21 pm

My main PC has a pair of Asus Strix GTX 980s. Idle use, surfing the internet, etc including watching movies does not result in the fans activating. The heat never gets as high as 40C. My case moves a pretty light amount of air through it. My screen is 1080.

There are a few 4GB GTX 960s out there. EVGA and MSI have them I think.

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Mon May 11, 2015 1:56 am

novicemapper wrote:if the 970 didn't have that memory "feature" i would totally buy it, without any hesitations, but i don't want to pay loads of cash with that kind of flaw.
Yes, I think I know what you are talking about. I bought the card a while back, and I think the "feature" wasn't known back then (or I didn't notice it while doing my research). If I had, I would have reconsidered. That being said, I believe it is still unknown what this means in practice. I'm happy with the card enough to now worry now that I've already bought it (though I must admit this is not a good additude in that it encourages manufacturers to do similar things in the future).

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am

I'm veering off topic here, but here's a video by JayzTwoCents on the GTX970 memory fetaure. Jump to 16:00 for conclusions.

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Sat May 16, 2015 12:31 am

never mind, i ordered a XFX R9 290 DD 4GB for 78.5 euro!! was on a crazy sale on amazon.uk
too cheap to pass up :] can't wait to get my hands on it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 16, 2015 1:07 am

novicemapper wrote:never mind, i ordered a XFX R9 290 DD 4GB for 78.5 euro!! was on a crazy sale on amazon.uk

Nice: too bad you didn't share that option with your fellows here, did you?

By the way, when you get it, try whether SpeedFan may control its fans (so that even this card could work as semi-passive).

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
novicemapper wrote:never mind, i ordered a XFX R9 290 DD 4GB for 78.5 euro!! was on a crazy sale on amazon.uk

Nice: too bad you didn't share that option with your fellows here, did you?

By the way, when you get it, try whether SpeedFan may control its fans (so that even this card could work as semi-passive).
it was posted on buildapcsales and it finished quite fast, i usually post price drops there if i stumble upon them :( im very sorry. i posted here after sale was over..
and thanks for the info, but i think if ill put it on passive it will lite my pc on fire :D

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 16, 2015 2:01 am

novicemapper wrote:it was posted on buildapcsales and it finished quite fast
Maybe Amazon UK wanted to clear its 290 stocks, as 390 will be on sale next june 24th.

novicemapper wrote:and thanks for the info, but i think if ill put it on passive it will lite my pc on fire :D

Well, no, it shouldn't happen: if temp rises, then SpeedFan starts up the fans, it's just a matter of properly calibrating the relevant fans curve (whether it works, though usually with XFX it does).

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Sat May 16, 2015 2:31 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
novicemapper wrote:it was posted on buildapcsales and it finished quite fast
Maybe Amazon UK wanted to clear its 290 stocks, as 390 will be on sale next june 24th.

yea.. i think so too, but it's still a deal breaker.. had to buy it :] it's the same price as Sapphire Radeon R7 250 BOOST 2GB in my country.
even if i won't use it i can sell it without a problem and get another card.
novicemapper wrote:and thanks for the info, but i think if ill put it on passive it will lite my pc on fire :D

Well, no, it shouldn't happen: if temp rises, then SpeedFan starts up the fans, it's just a matter of properly calibrating the relevant fans curve (whether it works, though usually with XFX it does).
never used it, but ill try that, can't i do the same with msi afterburner? or it doesn't have that feature?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 16, 2015 4:56 am

novicemapper wrote:can't i do the same with msi afterburner? or it doesn't have that feature?

You can try: on two cards I did (XFX, ASUS), Afterburner wasn't able to override the already set minimum fan speed, while SpeedFan was able to go below that mark; nevertheless that is far from certain (even SpeedFan doesn't work with all the Radeons) and, as I said, you can try if any Rivatuner-derivative (like Afterburner, or Precision, or GPUTweak) can stop fans with your upcoming graphics.

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/c ... _canceled/

nevermind x2, they canceled the deal.. MOTHER[mod:yeah, let's not print that here]. i actually believed im gonna get it.. pricing error :/

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Moderator wrote:MOTHER[mod:yeah, let's not print that here]

Just a note: in american english, does that edited word mean "sons of a..."? :oops:

novicemapper wrote:i actually believed im gonna get it.. pricing error :/

I'm sorry for you, maybe too many requests for the leftover stocks...

JJAP

Post by JJAP » Tue May 19, 2015 11:39 pm

Though they're all quiet, MSI Gaming is the quietest.

Like steve said, stop reading comment sections and stick with benchmarks: 128/2G is not a problem. A 960 will max out your 60hz monitor at 1080 with modern, demanding titles at very high settings. In 2-3 years you might have to settle with high settings.

R 300s will be a simple rebrand except for the 980 competitor. AMD won't save you. It can't save itself. Nvidia is free to take a vacation to the bahamas and fall asleep on the beach while we wonder what they do next. Probably a stripped down titan x (980 ti). Probably not a 960 ti.

What do you expect from a 960 ti? A stripped down 970? An overclocked 960? Both will be a decrease in performance/price. You said you were on a budget. Get a 960 and game on. Fortune favors the bold. You can wait? Maybe i'm wrong? Maybe this whole crazy world is wrong? Then whine not and return to gaming on your current card.