Fury X Front Panel Customization?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rhuebner

Fury X Front Panel Customization?

Post by rhuebner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:41 pm

OK, this is just a weird thought that struck me today, and now it's bugging me, so I might as well get it out there. You know how the AMD Fury X has that easily removed front panel which they think you might want to mod in order to personalize your card? To the point of releasing 3D model files (for a simple flat rectangle with 4 screw holes... why not just state the measurements)?

First thought: Huh. OK, I guess maybe someone could do something with that. Could be interesting, I suppose.
Second thought: But... how would anyone ever see it?

I mean, it'd be pretty pointless in a non-windowed case, obviously. And all the windowed cases I've ever seen were tower configs of one size or another. So the card front would face down, and never be seen. Except in a windowed Silverstone Fortress, I guess. Would it make more sense to decorate the back? Is this only good for people with open rack rigs?

So, am I missing something stupidly obvious here, or is this as futile and pointless as it seems? I'm confused.

Gunbuster

Re: Fury X Front Panel Customization?

Post by Gunbuster » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 am

Yeah I never quite got why backplates aren't more popular as they are what you see in 99% of windowed cases.

I know they had to make PCIE different from AGP, but I don't get the upsidedown approach.