Want as quiet as possible GTX 980 Ti

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thoir Danion

Want as quiet as possible GTX 980 Ti

Post by Thoir Danion » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 am

I have build myself a very quiet gaming pc all that's left to buy is the video card my issue is that I want to game in 1440p at 144hz so I've decided on the Gtx 980 ti but the card I think are going too loud so I'm looking for suggestions and advice. Anyone have any experience with Prolimatech PRO-MK-26 Multi VGA Cooler? If not what else could I get? This is my build and thanks for any help I can get http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FYbjMp

edh

Re: Want as quiet as possible GTX 980 Ti

Post by edh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:58 pm

If you want to go with a cooler swap the Arctic Accellero Extreme IV will probably be quieter than the Prolimatech.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:16 pm

While i don't disagree the Accelero is a great aftermarket cooler, it handle my GTX780 fine, never even passed 70C, while still always remain inaudible below 1600rpms, but i have seen reviews in where the MK26 is much more capable than the accelero, leading me to believe it will also handle the 980Ti fine, that said its worth mentioning that the accelero IV is 4 slot cooler so is the MK26, so its practically don't use anything else setup. The MK26 also has the advantage of using your own fans, it its more expensive because of this, but you pratically can use whatever 120mm fan on the market, which opens tons of good options in terms of quietness, that said, i do like Prolimatech Ultra slim 140, which imo would work really well with GTX980Ti, the lowest they run is around 380rpms where they are inaudible, this is with 0% pwm signal.

One thing to look for with the MK26, is that its design for reference coolers, and it seems is still compatible with the GTX980, still no word on the Ti, but i would assume it would work, but a lot of manufacturers do use custom PCB designs, that might or not be compatible with the mk26.

hippopotamusk

Post by hippopotamusk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:12 am

The MK26 also has the advantage of using your own fans, it its more expensive because of this, but you pratically can use whatever 120mm fan on the market, which opens tons of good options in terms of quietness
I'm also looking into cooling a GTX 980 ti with either the MK26 or Accelero IV. Regardless of which, what's the min rpm fans would need to cool a GTX 980 ti with an aftermarket cooler?
I have a couple Noiseblocker M12-S1s I was hoping to use but I'm not sure if their max 750rpm will limit the card's performance.