Sapphire Tri-x Fury

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralphjams

Sapphire Tri-x Fury

Post by Ralphjams » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:56 am

Hello everyone.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a hackintosh/ 1440p gaming computer. My research led me to discover the Sapphire Tri-x Fury, and all of the reviews seem to make note of how quiet the card is. Here is one of the reviews, which seems to be corroborated by Anandtech and several other sites.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sap ... 216-7.html

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this card?

Mr Evil

Re: Sapphire Tri-x Fury

Post by Mr Evil » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 am

I have one. My experience is like the reviews: The fans stop at low load, and at full load it's still exceptionally quiet. It does produce a little coil whine - more of a buzzing really, but not audible once its inside a case.

akm

Post by akm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:36 am

If you are building a hackintosh, I'd check out if Fury works with OSX at all.

nVidia provides their own OSX driver for newer cards, but I believe that's not the case with AMD and I think that Apple is yet to provide built-in driver for Fiji cards (as there is no product in Apple lineup with Fiji gpu)

Ralphjams

Post by Ralphjams » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:56 am

That's a very good point. My plan is to start picking up all the components around black friday, which should give some time to see if someone has had luck with the fury. I'm not opposed at all to going Nvidia, I just want to slap something really powerful in there that will stay quiet while I work on audio and then stay fairly quiet while I play games.

Maybe Nvidia would be the better choice, as I'm going to try and overclock a 5820k and want to make sure the case can deal with all the heat as silently as possible.

asymptonic

Post by asymptonic » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Just got mine in today. Ran Furmark and couldn't hear it, as temperatures leveled off at 68c. Granted, AC was on, but my previous card was quite audible whenever any game was running, so its quite an improvement. I have a SPL meter I'll point at it when I have a bit more time.

asymptonic

Post by asymptonic » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:11 am

Alright, got some numbers for you guys. My initial impression holds even better than I expected. After silencing my room to the best of my ability, I opened the case and pointed the meter at the card at ~1ft. With the case open, its clear that the stock Define R5 fan and CPU fans are the dominant noise, but even with that as a baseline:

Room noise floor: 32.2dbA
PC, idle at 1ft: 39.4dbA
GPU idle temperature was 34c, GPU fan speed 657RPM.

Started FurMark in burn mode and recorded sound and GPU temps.

45c: 39.5dbA
50c: 39.8
60c: 39.8
70c: 40.8
75c: 41.6 (This is the highest temp I could reach). Fan speed 1569RPM

Subjectively I couldn't hear the difference from my sitting position 3ft away at desk level. This card just doesn't make noticeable noise running flat out. My other component fans on the other hand need some work.

Its clear Sapphire took the relatively short Fury card and then bolted as much heatsink to it as possible. Definitely the first high-end card I've owned that I can't hear at load.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:06 am

asymptonic wrote:Alright, got some numbers for you guys.

Thanks a lot for sharing! Eventually Nvidia seems to have some serious competition, noise-wise (though the 980s seem to still have a slight edge)! :wink:

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Although everyone says that R9 Fury X is the ideal AMD card for 4k, what you think of that R9 Fury (non-X) for these specific monitors (FreeSync wise)?

ASUS MG279Q (90 Hz specifically)
LG 27MU67 (60 Hz)

I like to do a certain calculation to determine how a monitor requires from a card:

2560 * 1440 * 90 / 60 / 10 ^ (3 * 2) = 5.5 MPx@17ms
3840 * 2160 * 60 / 60 / 10 ^ (3 * 2) = 8.3 MPx@17ms

Using 60Hz as baseline.
Last edited by lb_felipe on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:37 am

asymptonic wrote:Alright, got some numbers for you guys. My initial impression holds even better than I expected. After silencing my room to the best of my ability, I opened the case and pointed the meter at the card at ~1ft. With the case open, its clear that the stock Define R5 fan and CPU fans are the dominant noise, but even with that as a baseline:

Room noise floor: 32.2dbA
PC, idle at 1ft: 39.4dbA
GPU idle temperature was 34c, GPU fan speed 657RPM.

Started FurMark in burn mode and recorded sound and GPU temps.

45c: 39.5dbA
50c: 39.8
60c: 39.8
70c: 40.8
75c: 41.6 (This is the highest temp I could reach). Fan speed 1569RPM

Subjectively I couldn't hear the difference from my sitting position 3ft away at desk level. This card just doesn't make noticeable noise running flat out. My other component fans on the other hand need some work.

Its clear Sapphire took the relatively short Fury card and then bolted as much heatsink to it as possible. Definitely the first high-end card I've owned that I can't hear at load.
Just wondering - is the card throttling under furmark? I've read couple of reviews and some of these newer cards consume tens of watts less during furmark than gaming and other heavy use.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:21 am

I was thinking about this card for a while.

After hearing about Fury's being unlocked and sometimes running as full Fury X cards (minus the water cooling), I thought what about running one as a Nano?

It would essentially be the same hardware but with more power transistors to avoid power throttling and a bigger cooler to avoid thermal throttling.

Any way I read some other things about Fury like a 40 watt Blue Ray playback which is making me wait for the next generation 14nm GPUs.

Close but no cigar.

asymptonic

Post by asymptonic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Smanci wrote: Just wondering - is the card throttling under furmark? I've read couple of reviews and some of these newer cards consume tens of watts less during furmark than gaming and other heavy use.
I don't believe so. The FPS was consistent from the start to the end of the test, and the temperature load was a smooth curve leveling off at the max. If it were throttling I'd expect a nonlinearity in one or the other.

I spent some time gaming with it in the last few days, but not very conclusive as my years old AMD quad core is holding everything back non-synthetic tests. This was the first part of my gaming build (i7-6700k, Scythe Kotetsu, Seasonic x650 in the Define R5), so I'll come back when its all said and done with more data.

Which reminds me, while off topic in this forum, is everyone happy with the stock fans on the Define once run at slower RPMs, or do people replace them with something quieter?

asymptonic

Post by asymptonic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:05 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
asymptonic wrote:Alright, got some numbers for you guys.

Thanks a lot for sharing! Eventually Nvidia seems to have some serious competition, noise-wise (though the 980s seem to still have a slight edge)! :wink:
I actually think this card might be quieter than the 980s. Nearly all the noise seems to be coming from the Define's 140mm fan which seems to be running flat out on this old motherboard. I'll definitely be adding a fan controller at least, and replacing it with something quieter otherwise.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:15 am

asymptonic wrote:Which reminds me, while off topic in this forum, is everyone happy with the stock fans on the Define once run at slower RPMs, or do people replace them with something quieter?

With reference to the Define R5 I've seen some co-forumers replaced the GP14 stock fans with either the Antec TrueQuiet 140 or the Phanteks PH-F140HP: actually I don't know how they comparatively perform (the Phanteks should have a fairly higher minimum speed, over the Antec, but how you drive it would make a difference).

Whether you weren't happy with the GP14s, I think you might try those fans (highly praised even on SPCR reviews, IIRC), or maybe the Noctua P14r Redux and the Fractal HF14, but I definitely can't help about: your mileage may vary. Puget Systems should have replaced the GP14s with 120mm Scythe Slipstreams (at least on the front intake) on their Serenity Pro.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 am

HT4U gave Tri-X R9 Fury (default) outstanding ratings, notably its quietness (German).

I am guessing the stock clocks version has a much better fan speed profile. By some sites saying that card is noiser than Strix R9 Fury, or that its fan speed profile is too agressive, I guess.

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2015/amd_radeon ... ndex14.php

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2015/amd_radeon ... ndex45.php