GPU maintainance - Articles & Advice?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Deer87

GPU maintainance - Articles & Advice?

Post by Deer87 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 am

Hello SPCR,

I have been looking for articles and discussions regarding keeping my Asus GTX 660 OCPH somewhat quiet.
I know that the air-rush from the fans are just realities of life with this card, but I have noticed that it has started to sound a little "hoarse", especially when i try turning the fans manually.
I guess dust and/or lack of lubrication.

My question (as stated in the title): Can i make my fans run smooth again, or do you know where to find guides, possibly for the specific product?

I would like to prolong the life of my GPU at least another ½ year, so I can see if the new 950 and 960 prices will be lowered.

quest_for_silence

Re: GPU maintainance - Articles & Advice?

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:24 am

Deer87 wrote:My question (as stated in the title): Can i make my fans run smooth again, or do you know where to find guides, possibly for the specific product?

Search for how to lubricate sleeve bearing fans.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:41 pm

quest_for_silence wrote: Search for how to lubricate sleeve bearing fans.
I did. The problem is that all the guides assume there is a little cap under the sticker. Mine doesn't have that. The fan seems more like it is a clip on. That is why I asked for the specific model.
Either the screws are on the backside of the fan, which means I have to unscrew the fans from the heatsink in order to get to it, or it is a clip on, but I don't really have the nerves to start prying them off, before I'm certain about what to do...

Edit: It is a DirectCU II cooler, the fan sleves have a sort of dustguard.

Also, I already tried compressed air - no improvement.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:34 pm

Deer87 wrote:Mine doesn't have that. The fan seems more like it is a clip on.
Some photographs of the whole assembly would help: or you can think to swap them with aftermarket replacement (your mileage may vary, though).

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:31 am

I cannot post a pic without the sticker before tonight, but here is my GPU.
GPU.png
As I said, under the sticker there is just a plastic cap with no screw. The cap and the fans are one piece of plastic.

And a link to explanation of the asus dustproof fan:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/wp-content/uploa ... jpg?79ad0d
Full article: http://www.bjorn3d.com/2012/12/asus-gef ... rectcu-ii/

Aftermarked fan is not likely to happen :wink: then rather tough it out and upgrade to a 960 4gb strix at some point in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 am

You could perhaps remove the plastic shroud and the two stock fans, keep the heatsink and attach one or two 120mm fans (powered by the motherboard perhaps) using zip ties.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:10 am

Deer87 wrote:I cannot post a pic without the sticker before tonight

Do when you're more comfortable.

By the way, I meant the whole fan assembly, so you should detach the fan shroud, and then unscrew the 3 point fan mountings to take close pictures on back and front of each fan.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:15 am

Vicotnik wrote:You could perhaps remove the plastic shroud and the two stock fans, keep the heatsink and attach one or two 120mm fans (powered by the motherboard perhaps) using zip ties.
Perhaps, if the fans were defect. Right now it seems like way too intrusive juryrigging. I think they just need a bit of oil, but I can't figure out how to apply it.
There is a slight grinding noise when i turn them manually, which wasn't there when it was new. They run fine, but i figure some maintainance is in order.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:35 am

quest_for_silence wrote:take close pictures on back and front of each fan.

Do not forget (in case) to take shots of what's under the fan stickers/labels.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:22 pm

I will :)
But I will have to pickle the topic for a couple of weeks due to a long awaited vacation. So no pics right now ;)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Deer87 wrote:I will :)
But I will have to pickle the topic for a couple of weeks due to a long awaited vacation. So no pics right now ;)
It doesn't matter, I guess you don't need your gaming rig during your vacation. :wink:

By the way, take note: I was told that usually GPU's slim fans doesn't have a cap, and that you should gently but firmly pop off the rotor, in order to lubricate the bearing. Now you have a "sealed" or "dust proof" ones. Whether the seal is made by gaskets/magnets (as usual), no problem. But there's a chance the rotor is bonded (with glue), so in this latter occurrence you would break the fan, trying to detach the rotor. So, take care. :wink:

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:42 am

I have realised that I’m probably not getting around to investigate this subject further. The issue is too minor for me to start taking my GPU apart. So there is going to be no further follow up, unless the sleves starts grinding gravel :)
Thank you for the responses, and I apologise for wasting your time.