Low profile GPU for Streacom FC9 wanted

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kludermor

Low profile GPU for Streacom FC9 wanted

Post by kludermor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi silentpcreviewers

I got a Streacom FC9 case with passive cooling and so far no GPU. I'm only running of the pico 150w PSU and got a i5 4430 CPU.

I would however like to use it more for games also, and not only tv and movie streaming.

I'm not sure if geforce 750 is available in a low enough TDP configuration, but Pascal is right around the corner.

Does anybody know if Nvidia and others will have a low profile low TDP Pascal GPU coming out? Preferable with passive cooling.

Has anybody fitted the Streacom FC9 case with a geforce 750 GPU running on the 150W pico? The math says its just about doable. But no margin to spare. And will the fan on the GPU spin full rev to try to cool down when fitted in this case? It does get hot when gaming on the i5 and using passive CPU cooling. But the GPU should take most of the load of the CPU in gaming sessions.

grant2

Re: Low profile GPU for Streacom FC9 wanted

Post by grant2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:55 pm

I am running a GTX 750 in my FC9. I've rigged up heatpipes to connect it to the case.

The heatsink still can't handle the full power of this card, I use MSI afterburner utility to throttle the card at 78c (temperature). Probably could get ~30% more performance if the card had active cooling.

150w is absolutely more than enough to handle anything you put in that case. Your system will throttle or shut down before the PS is tapped out. My kill-a-watt meter says I sustain approx. 80-100w of draw from the wall while gaming, and it says I've had (a) spike(s) up to about 115-120w.

I don't know about trying to put a GPU inside the case without connecting it with heatpipes. Basically you're going to heat up the air inside the case within a few minutes and then you're limited by the ability of the inside of the case to absorb heat from the air. It might work out ok or you might want to glue on some heat fins inside the case.

Any passively cooled, single-slot, low-profile card is going to be extremely low performance, I'd expect at that performance class you are better off using higher-end integrated graphics.

kludermor

Post by kludermor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:09 am

@grant2
Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately the low profile 750 gpu's are not for sale any more in Denmark. :(
I had my eyes on a dual slot with the fans blowing air out of the case, but was not sure if the pico could handle it. And now they are out of stock.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:42 pm

fc9 can't fit even a large heatsink let alone a dual-slot card so that would have required interesting case modification.

Because I heatpipe to the case, I was able to discard the large heatsink on my GTX750 so it fits.

If you have the patience i think it's worth seeing if any good low-profile cards come from AMD with their new 14nm process. They might get as good or better performance than the 750 in the same power envelope.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Nvidia is about to release the GTX950 SE, that should be a replacement of the GTX750, thus probably might have some single slot cards or even half height, its hard to predict what will happen with the card yet, its all rumors atm, this will be based on the 206, so its a maxwell, i doubt we will see low on pascal early if this happens.