They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

First GTX 1060 european official pricing seen on web

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:49 am

From Poland: hefty, I'd say (~550$)...
90YV09Q1-M0NA00-ASUS-STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING-8GB.png
90YV09Q0-M0NA00-ASUS-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING-8GB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Re: First GTX 1060 european official pricing seen on web

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:58 am

Do we really have to have another discussion on the pre-intro usary practices of retailers? :)

Btw, one of the rumor intro dates is July 7.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:01 am

CA_Steve wrote:Btw, one of the rumor intro dates is July 7.
Tomorrow..... hope its true in terms of seeing how it measures to the RX480, and estimaded MSRP, that we wont see in months.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:24 am

Abula wrote:hope its true in terms of seeing how it measures to the RX480

I guess you should know:
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Fire-Strike-Performance-900x635.jpg

I'm kidding, of course: for that price I think it has to best the RX by far!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:15 am

North american MSRP expected to be much lower:

http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-gefo ... 49-299-usd

Worldwide launch today in Australia:

https://www.nvidia.com/content/apac/eve ... al-launch/ (as seen on Reddit)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:52 am

Soft launch today, with FE and aftermarket cards available on the 19th. Hey, my pricing guess was correct..but 6GB rather than 3GB. Nvidia is targeting GTX 980 level performance. So, fits in line with the other card - moving up 2 steps in perfformance rather than the usual single step.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 am

Nvidia is always the slick and scummy one. It never would have given the public its 1060 GTX 3-4 months early if it wasnt for AMD making a card for all people at a good price. And now they do a paper launch with a cheap price to try and slow down the sales of AMD, causing hesitancy.

For the past three years, Nvidia has charged 150-300 dollars more than it should for its cards, and now it finally makes one of reasonable cost after AMD forces it to. I still do not know what I will buy in two weeks though. The 120 watt rating means a lot less electricity burned if i use it for SETI@Home.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 am

It is pointless to blame Nvidia. They are simply maximizing their profit by all means, and it's capitalism. It does not matter how much they have been overcharging/overpricing their cards. I would rather blame AMD, who is completely failing to prevent the monopoly of Nvidia. I had very high expectations for AMD, who should have performed better, far better.

I don't think RX480 is capable of competing with GTX 1060, which arguably performs almost as good as GTX 980, though slightly worse than GTX 980.
Last edited by ggumdol on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:24 am

You've always been an AMD fan. Don't get me started on your CPU choices :)

That said, AMD can't sell or not sell what they don't have in inventory...

Both companies try to outmarket each other. Both companies will build a product stack for performance at certain price points. Both companies will bring later models out with tuned specs at new price points to compete against their competition's last move. Yay for the free market. It's a shame that AMD didn't manage to make up the performance/W gap they have with Nvidia. Maybe it'll improve as the new process ramps up. In the meantime, Nvidia gets to run the field.

I think both companies will be dealing with poor availability through the summer.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:33 am

I think both companies will be dealing with poor availability through the summer.
Personally i dont get what its going on. Aside from Newegg, i dont see any mayor retailers having them or even taking preoders on GTX1070/1080 at msrp (not the resellers crap).

But what i dont get is i never saw rumors about low binning production or delays of strikes or whatever, this time all seem fine, but this is by far the worst release for me to buy. I got so desperate, that massdrop, that usually has MSI batches, got in touch with MSI and did two batches, one of the GTX1080 and one for the GTX1070, and preorder thorugh them, and yet i have a month of wait extra, honestly something is wrong, releases were tough, yes a week or two you wont get it, hell if you are not that into tracking, maybe a month, but two months.... seems something is wrong, and the worst part, cards at MSRPs sell in seconds, even over $700.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:40 am

Abula wrote:Personally i dont get what its going on.
My take: Both companies are dealing with a longer than usual development cycle due to the new processes, but the consumer intro window is fairly fixed. You really want to show somethingat Computex. Then, it becomes one company trying to outmarket the other with soft releases, reference cards, seeding enough review samples to appear to be the leader in a segment, and keeping attention on your great products while you desperately try to get yields up and enough parts in the channel to serve the market. Heck, look how long it took for Skylake i7-6700Ks to fill the channel enough for the price to get down to MSRP.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:07 pm

I am a fan of AMD until most recently, cpu wise. The 1090T era was the last good chip they put out aside from their cheaper APU machines which are the best to build for family and friends where cost but features are needed.

I have been trying to buy an Nvidia card for over 10 years. Every time one pops out, there's a 200 dollar version of AMD that does the job for the display i have. I was going to buy a 970 GTX for 350 dollars, but then my reviewer friend told me to just wait until AMD releases a card as Freesync is the most important part of the card and Nvidia does not have that at all and wont because they have a proprietary system that needs special monitors/displays to work with.(gsync)

I think that is something not at all pushed enough for marketing, Freesync. It solves most of the issues people complain about but think it is the fps rating that is bothering them. I will wait for the 1060 GTX with 2-3 silent fans setups before I buy. 120 watts just is better for cost over a year than 178 watts, plus the demand on cooling of course. I will be burning it 12-16 hours a day doing SETI@home units. It is difficult to know which will give the best units /watt and most total units per day done.

I was going to just use a new motherboard and chip, building i7, and run it CPU only on SETI/boinc, but then i heard how the vid cards are much more efficient. Hard to tell what anyone is saying though on those forums, they write like hamsters on meth.