My Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM Test

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

keif

My Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM Test

Post by keif » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Update: I had a little bit of Scythe paste left and wanted to test this again. The results weren't as dramatic.

This time I did the testing at 1300rpm. First I ran Valley with Kryonaut application from the last test and then switched to the Scythe paste. GPU-Z only showed a 1c increase in the average temperature but also a 10mhz increase in the average clock speed which is a bit odd.

Then I did another pass with the Scythe paste and switched back to the Kryonaut. This time I did 20 minute runs and GPU-Z showed a 2.5c decrease in the average temperature this time.

Screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/bHjsx

So I don't know now. I think I likely just had a bad application of the Scythe paste in the first test as I don't think I've ever seen temperatures and fan speeds that high with Vsync on. That should have grabbed my attention in the first place.

------

Hi guys

I recently purchased the EVGA GTX 1060 SC and haven't been completely happy with temperatures and noise and have been experimenting a bit with it. I read some good things about Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and saw it also had a few favorable reviews so I decided to give it a try. I was also curious as I never tried any alternative pastes before.

I did a little before and after test with it today and have the results to share. I searched the forum and haven't seen it mentioned much so I thought this would interest you.

So first, I'll go over my setup and testing procedure. I tried my best to be as methodical and consistent as possible. I wouldn't consider my test definitive though. I should repeat it at least three times but I don't have anymore Scythe paste and I also don't like taking apart my expensive GPU. :wink: So I do recommend taking this with a bit of a grain of salt. I'm welcome to any suggestions or criticism here.

First, I want to point out that this is a comparison to Scythe's paste that they include with their coolers, that comes in the little bag. I didn't notice any difference when I replaced the stock EVGA paste with it and in TomsHardware's Thermal Paste Comparison it did decent, 3c off the best performing paste. Link here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/the ... 16-20.html

For the 3D application, I used Unigine Valley at 1440P, ultra settings, vsync on (60hz), and no MSAA. I chose this because in my experience it best represents a typical gaming session as this is the highest setting without dropping below 60 fps too often.

For the procedure, I ran Valley for 10 minutes, then opened GPU-Z and quickly alt-tabbed back to Valley and let it log for 15 minutes. Then I alt-tabbed to GPU-Z, changed the reading to average as quickly as a I could, and then took the screenshot and after that grabbed the maximum reading as well.

Here is a picture of the build that I tested it in: http://i.imgur.com/Kun8xhx.jpg The case is a Rosewill/Jonsobo Legacy U2. During the test the case fan was at 600rpm and the CPU at 800rpm. I do have the case side panel on.

For the application of the paste I use the rice method, without spreading it, and I use rubbing alcohol and coffee filters to clean the old paste. Here is a picture of the Kryonaut applied before fitting the heatsink back on: http://i.imgur.com/2yFtzbD.jpg

I changed the paste right after I finished the run with the Scythe paste and I started testing with the Kryonaut right after I installed it. It only took about ten minutes to change the paste and get the computer back on.

And lastly, the air temperature was 75F.

Okay, the results!

I've attached labeled GPU-Z screenshots below or you can view them on Imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/A9E9p

Between the average measurements there was a 2.7C drop, 200 RPM drop in fan speed, and a 4Mhz increase in clock speed because of GPU Boost 3.0. For the maximum measurement there was also a 3C and 200 RPM drop.

After I did this I wish I would've compared them at the same fan speed but what I did was set the fan speed to run static at the average speed with the Scythe paste, which was 1530 RPM, and ran Valley again. Here there was a 5.6C drop in the average temperature and a 20Mhz increase in the average clock speed. There was also a 5C drop and a 25Mhz increase for the maximum reading.

I think you could safely call that a 5C improvement. I'm pretty impressed by this and glad my money wasn't wasted. I paid $10.50 on eBay for the 1.0 gram tube which looks to be enough for 4-5 applications. I think $10 and very little effort and time for a 5c drop is pretty damn good and significant for the noise conscious, small form factors, and overclockers who are on the edge with temperatures or noise, which was my case.

And one last thing I want to mention; it might not be as effective on CPUs as most modern CPUs use an integrated heat spreaders where GPUs are a bare die - and I think CPU coolers typically have higher mounting pressures so the TIM might not make as much of a difference.

Well I think that covers everything. I hope you find this test useful and I'm curious to hear your thoughts about this or any other experiences with Kryonaut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by keif on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: My Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM Test

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:14 pm

keif wrote:I'm curious to hear your thoughts about this or any other experiences with Kryonaut.

keif

Post by keif » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:48 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
keif wrote:I'm curious to hear your thoughts about this or any other experiences with Kryonaut.
Oh nice!

That is on a CPU with a heat spreader and an aftermarket cooler with a backplate so likely a higher mounting pressure. Those are also much lower load temperatures - I wonder if that would make a difference.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:50 am

keif wrote:That is on a CPU with a heat spreader and an aftermarket cooler with a backplate so likely a higher mounting pressure. Those are also much lower load temperatures - I wonder if that would make a difference.
Albeit a bit skeptical, I'm also very curious about the mounting pressure.

OTOH I'm more skeptical about the "temperature" figures: set aside mine should not strictly be "temperatures", but the GTX 1060 should draw less power than a Phenom II X4 940BE.

I can't speak about the QORD's GTX 750Ti Kalm X, but as I have Radeon R9 280 on my bench these days, I'll try to do some tests with its stock cooler and the Kryonaut later in this month. :)

keif

Post by keif » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
keif wrote:That is on a CPU with a heat spreader and an aftermarket cooler with a backplate so likely a higher mounting pressure. Those are also much lower load temperatures - I wonder if that would make a difference.
Albeit a bit skeptical, I'm also very curious about the mounting pressure.

OTOH I'm more skeptical about the "temperature" figures: set aside mine should not strictly be "temperatures", but the GTX 1060 should draw less power than a Phenom II X4 940BE.

I can't speak about the QORD's GTX 750Ti Kalm X, but as I have Radeon R9 280 on my bench these days, I'll try to do some tests with its stock cooler and the Kryonaut later in this month. :)
Oh, good point - so the TIM is actually seeing more heat in your setup.

Those are pretty high temperatures on QORD's 750 Ti and I wonder if it was throttling the clock speeds.

I would like to see that! I think I have might have one more application of the Scythe paste so maybe I'll redo it one more time, as well.

keif

Post by keif » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:29 pm

I did another comparison and the results weren't nearly as dramatic.

I've updated the original post.