Quiet GTX1080 with blower

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

entreri

Quiet GTX1080 with blower

Post by entreri » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a gaming HTPC and my case (SD ERA) is rather small, so in order to avoid keeping hot air inside I will probably have to use a blower style card.

Now I have been looking at all reviews I could find and not a single one talks about noise of blower style 1080 cards like the MSI 8G(Z) or EVGA.

I do like the fact the EVGA is smaller which would maybe allow me to eventually watercool it if space allows for it (I guess I will notice only once I buy the card, can't be too careful with manufacturers measurements).

Any info about the noise generated by blower style 1080s would be very much appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance!

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet GTX1080 with blower

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Any review of Nvidia's reference card will give you an idea of the blower style's noise. Here it is compared to MSI's Gaming X. So, it'll be significantly louder than a highly rated card. Also, while the concept of a blower sounds great, the reality is they are limited in the amount of heat they can remove from the case and at the cost of higher temps and noise levels.

entreri

Post by entreri » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks for the info, I already read that review and was actually hoping that msi or evga would be quieter than the nvidia.
The ERA case is quite small so do you really think there would be no difference between a blower and the others? My first thought would be that I will be circulating hot gpu air inside the case.

Now as I said if after buying the card I see I have room left, I will put an ek wb and watercool it.

By the sounds of it the cpu cooler will be silent enough so I m focusing on the gtx

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:18 am

I think for blower style cards MSI, EVGA, etc just grab the reference design and duplicate it. Yes, your case is very small and it also lacks the amount of ventilation I'd want to see for a gaming system. The good news is the bottom ventilation area over the gfx card. I can't tell from the pictures I've seen whether it overlaps the entire gfx card or not and whether the case feet are tall enough for unobstructed intake of air. The Steiger site is pretty vague on details. I really am not sure how quiet/cool you can make this case with a 180W GPU and/or how you can implement a liquid cooling solution.

entreri

Post by entreri » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:25 am

I got hope that by moving the psu like the guy here
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... od.214407/

I will be able to put a 120 radiator

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 am

Looks like quite the project.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:05 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Looks like quite the project.

Indeed: up to 15 months of works and maybe 10k parts... will it be silent? I've some doubts, as per "SPCR standards".

Does the OP want to do the same?

entreri

Post by entreri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:54 am

Here is the vent below the GPU:

entreri

Post by entreri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:57 am

Yeah I have no idea if that guy's build is really silent or not.

Got 2 other ideas,

- move the psu out of the case and watercool the cpu and gpu and put the radiator where the psu used to be

- or even put the radiator out of the case, that's probably going to be the best solution.

Or do you think that, seeing the vent under the GPU, I could use a card like the zotac which seems to be very quiet

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:59 am

entreri wrote:- or even put the radiator out of the case, that's probably going to be the best solution.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This (if it has to be utterly quiet).

In case, use a Watercool Mo-Ra waterstation or similar option (albeit that likely negates the sole raison d'etre of such a case, think about it).

entreri

Post by entreri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
entreri wrote:- or even put the radiator out of the case, that's probably going to be the best solution.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This (if it has to be utterly quiet).

In case, use a Watercool Mo-Ra waterstation or similar option (albeit that likely negates the sole raison d'etre of such a case, think about it).
Yup I agree, a waterstation is going to be too big, I was thinking something like a 2x120 rad that I would put in a custom aluminum housing next to my htpc. With tubes of the correct length I would be able to do something decent and not too obvious (with a good WAF).

I am thinking to get the evga acx3.0 as CA_Steve seems to think I don't have to go for a blower.
If I notice it's too noisy, I'll watercool it.
Do you also think I don't have to go for a blower style card?