Asus Strix GTX 1070: Not so silent... Review sites wrong ?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Spip

Asus Strix GTX 1070: Not so silent... Review sites wrong ?

Post by Spip » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm

This is to share my experience with the Asus Strix GTX 1070.

It is often labeled as "silent", and several review sites even put it at the same noise level as the GTX 970 -- my previous card; about 39 dB under full load, which is why I decided to upgrade as I thought it would be as quiet.

It's not.

The difference is very audible, sitting about 1m from the closed PC case, so I made a small check to make sure that I wasn't just "mishearing" things since so many sites pegged the 1070 as "silent". I ran Furmark on each card, and all other things being equal:
  • GTX 970 > Max temp: 65°, fans (2) at 40% or 1.100 RPM
    GTX 1070 > Max temp: 60°, fans (3) at 40% or 1.500 RPM
Yeah. The added +400 RPM on 3 fans makes a significant difference. When I manually set the GTX 1070 fans at around 30% or 1.100 RPM, then it is almost as quiet. There is a silent profile for the fan, which is kind of "in between" in terms of perceived noise, but when it's activated the GPU temp shoots up to ~72° full load, and the performance goes down.
Pascal seems to downclock (reduce its speed) by 13mhz all on it's own, every 8c or so. This starts at 54c.
So I don't understand how several review sites mark the 1070 at the same noise level as the 970 when it's clearly not. Or did I get the short straw ?

NeilBlanchard

Re: Asus Strix GTX 1070: Not so silent... Review sites wrong

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:27 am

Hello and welcome to SPCR,

Not all 1070's are the same, and not even all units from on manufacturer are the same. See the 1070 compilation thread for a comparison of reviews:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69265

I think generally, the MSI Gaming X and EVGA FTW are the quieter 1070's.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53 am

In my experience, owned 2 Asus GTX970s, and they were fine cards, as long as you didn't stress them, the problem is the Asus fan design and aggressive vbios fan ramp up makes the cards not quiet, reason why i sold them. I moved on to higher TPD cards, MSI GTX980Ti two of them in SLI, and they were quieter than Asus, temps were similar, just that fan rpm were higher than the fan diameter were smaller on the asus. I have since moved to a single MSI GTX1080, and its very quiet even gaming, seems MSI has gotten good into programing their vbios to ramp the fans to where the cards remain quiet and still with in tolerable temps. The only cards that do beat MSI is if you wish to go with 2.5 slot cards like Palit/Zotac AMP!, etc.

Spip

Post by Spip » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:54 pm

Thank you for the responses.

Indeed the default fan profile of the Asus GTX 1070 is a bit too agressive. Under a prolonged heavy load, the 3 fans spin up to 2,000 RPM to keep the GPU below 70°, and at that level the card sounds like a hair dryer at full blast.

I have manually set a "silent" profile which forces the fans at ~35% (the minimum for the fans to spin up) under moderate load. The noise becomes tolerable, but is still noticeably higher than the GTX970, since the 1070's 3 fans function at higher RPM per %. With that profile, the GPU goes up to 75°.

On the long run, I might change for an MSI model; it has larger, slower fans that still do a good job at keeping the GPU in a safe temp range.

I still don't understand how 2-3 review sites place the 970 and 1070 at the exact same noise level... One site even wrote that "you can barely hear the fans at 60%" [2,000 RPM]. Erhm, what ?

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:20 am

Rule 1:

If something is called silent by other party than SPCR, it's not, because:

The writer doesn't grasp the concepts of quiet, silent and effectively silent.
The testing environment has high noise floor that prevents differences from being shown.
The reviewer is half-deaf.
The review is paid.
Last edited by Smanci on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:20 am

Those other sites are not focusing on noise levels with anywhere near the accuracy and specificity that Silent PC Review does. They may be either just reprinting the claimed noise levels of the manufacturer, or they are measuring it in a space that is so noisy as to mask the noise of the card, and/or they are using an inaccurate sound level meter, and/or the rest of the test computer components are making more noise than the card.

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:38 pm

One giveaway, to me, is when people use qualifiers for the word silent, such as "very silent." Something is either silent, or it isn't. There's no half-silent, or somewhat silent. The use of a qualifier signals that the person doesn't understand what silence is. I see this over and over again -- the word that's more often appropriate is "quiet," which is subjective.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 am

The GPU TweakII software supplied by Asus has a toggle setting (0dB Fan) to turn the fans on this card off under idling/low system stress conditions. It is separate from the mode (Silent, Gaming and OC) choices. This applies to version 1.4.0.8 of GPU TweakII released by Asus at the end of November last year.

nancy7

Post by nancy7 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:31 am

is this GPU better then the other custom 1070 out there? Or is just the one with higher OC

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 02, 2017 5:59 am

nancy7 wrote:is this GPU better then the other custom 1070 out there? Or is just the one with higher OC
It's neither the fastest or quietest. More info here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69265

neocodex

Post by neocodex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 am

I switched from Strix 970 double fan design to Strix 1080 Ti triple fan design.

I had triple fan in the past. It was loud. But it's Strix, it has to be good, right?

Wrong. Never again triple fan. This thing is loud as fuck. Should have gone with MSI or something instead.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:15 am

neocodex wrote:I switched from Strix 970 double fan design to Strix 1080 Ti triple fan design.

I had triple fan in the past. It was loud. But it's Strix, it has to be good, right?

Wrong. Never again triple fan. This thing is loud as fuck. Should have gone with MSI or something instead.
Well there is not one that stands out being quiet, even the MSI in some places appears decent and in others more noisy even than the Asus. Cards like Zotac AMP Extreme which was the most quiet on the 1080, were not getting the same quietness on the 1080Ti, and to me its more that that 1080Ti is a much hotter card, so you will need not only a bigger cooler but more rpms to sustain acceptable temperatures.

Asus cards are not bad, i owed two Strix 970, the cards are fine as long as the load is not huge, the fans above 2k become jet engines, specially in SLI i couldnt stand it. The fans seems the the same on 1080Ti, but the cooler is wider and larger, so it should dissipate more heat.

Now how are your temps? Asus relesead a Quiet Vbios, as long as you are not hitting 84C with the stock vbios, i would give a shot (thats what im planning to do, but my card has not reached yet). Go into utilities and you will find

This silent vbios should have less agressive fan curves at the expense of temperature, but thats what most of us do here.

The above is my Plan A, but my Plan B is to switch the cooler toward a Prolimatech MK26, because of how Asus changed their design on the frontal plate on the 1080Ti, it seems its going to be an easy swap, but i didnt had much success on the 1080 with the MK26 (on horizotal) so im trying to avoid this, but will see upon how the Asus Strix behaves with the stock and silent vbios, then ill decide the route to continue.