Installing Prolimatech MK-26 or Accelero on 1070 1080 GPU ?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Riok

Installing Prolimatech MK-26 or Accelero on 1070 1080 GPU ?

Post by Riok » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Have you tried ? Some people sell them used so I wonder if it's a good investment. Let's say 25€ for the mk-26 and 25€ for two noiseblockers. That's 50€ and it would make me more free of of choosing a 1070/1080 or maybe have better cooling ? It seems cooling have improved so much so I wonder if it would be usefull ?

INSTALLING an ACCELERO on a GTX 1080 Ti!? How to & Temps vs 1080 Strix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd1pR1-36Sw

Das 5-Slot Monster - Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Custom (05/2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv10ZwIiUgA

Slightly out of topic, my all time favorite also got updated:
CPU cooler on GPU - superb performance! ()
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hvsqUEtZ4&t=3s :-)

Abula

Re: Installing Prolimatech MK-26 or Accelero on 1070 1080 GP

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Riok wrote:Have you tried ?
Yes i own 2x MK26 (one standard grey and one black). SPCR also reviewed it, Prolimatech MK-26 Multi-VGA Cooler
Riok wrote:Some people sell them used so I wonder if it's a good investment. Let's say 25€ for the mk-26 and 25€ for two noiseblockers. That's 50€ and it would make me more free of of choosing a 1070/1080 or maybe have better cooling ?
If you can grab it cheap i dont see why not, its a good cooler, just not magic, it drops temps and overall its cooler running, but i still strugle with my GTX1080 with TY147s, i had to move into TY143 to not hit 85C, that said, my experiences are more on a FT05, which imo dont help the pipe aligment on the MK26, i might try it down the road again, now i have moved both setups to Corsair Air 740, but for now im fine with the stock coolers.
Riok wrote:It seems cooling have improved so much so I wonder if it would be usefull ?
When the MK26 was released the coolers were worst, there were some triple fan though like Galaxy using the Accelero, but most of the coolers were not as good, now a days most are triple fan and 2.5 slot (at least on 1080tis). The problem is voiding your warranty, in case of MSI if you remove the screws that mount their cooler you will destroy a sticker that says void warranty, so up to you if you find it worth it or not.

Weather its worth your money its up to you, the only recommendations that i give you is if you do buy it, try to check reviews online on GPUs that have a frontal plate, this will allow you not to bother putting heatsinks on the memory and vrms, thus the change is simply 4 screws (and the plate), takes at the most 15 min. This makes it very easy to change it and there is no tampering with the card at all, just the thermal paste will be needed to reapply when you let say sell the card and put back the stock cooler.