My Passive Radeon 9000 Pro:

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thebiggreenone

My Passive Radeon 9000 Pro:

Post by thebiggreenone » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:29 pm

9000 Pro / Zalman ZM50-HP Mod

So before I did this, I was not sure if it would work, it says it is only rated up to a Radeon 7500, but I just went for it.

The stock cooler on the 9000 Pro was the loudest part in my computer, other than that all I have is two L1As, one on my AthlonXP 1700+ cooled by an AX7, and the other modded into my Enermax PSU.

As I said, the ZM50 is not really made for the 9000 Pro, but my load temps are only ~6c above the stock cooler, so I think it will be just fine.

Now the loudest part of my system is my HDD, a WD800JB. As you can probably see in the second picture, it is sitting on the floor of the case with a mouse pad between the two in order to isolate vibrations, I plan on buying a Seagate Barracuda ATA V at some point.

Overall I am very happy with this mod. My noise levels have dropped a great deal, much more than I expected. If I were to do it again though, I might go for the ZM80C-HP just to be on the safe side and because that would be able to move to a faster card when I upgrade as well.

FiXxXeR

Post by FiXxXeR » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:45 am

that's the spirit :D

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:22 pm

cool, I have a 9000 pro in my current computer and was wondering about it. The fan on mine doesn't seem too loud, the CPU fan and WD HDD are louder right now and I can't hear it. I'll have to eventually do this.