Low end Zotac card vs Galax card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sseri

Low end Zotac card vs Galax card

Post by sseri » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:04 am

I am plannig to buy GTX 1660 TI card. Currently I only have these two options in where I live:

1. ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6

2. GALAX GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti (1-Click OC)

Both of them are the low end models, the higher end of zotac has "AMP" suffix and Galax has "EX" suffix.

(actually there is 3rd option which is MSI Ventus XS, but I heard the Ventus model doesn't have fan stop feature like the high end model "Gaming X")

Between these two cards, which one that have auto stop fan on idle feature and has less noisy fan sound on load?

CA_Steve

Re: Low end Zotac card vs Galax card

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Welcome to SPCR. The Galax card mentions fan stop feature on their website, the Zotac does not. Techpowerup reviewed the Zotac card, and while there isn't fan stop, noise while gaming is lower than some others. Haven't seen a review of the Galax card, yet. So can't comment on it.

sseri

Post by sseri » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:33 am

Thanks for the reply, that's a good catch. But I'm not 100% sure yet, so I contacted both Zotac and Galax. Zotac said the low end model doesn't have fan stop feature. Galax said it has, so I guess I would get the Galax.

Update: also asked Zotac about the 1660 ti AMP edition, unfortunately they said it doesn't have Fan Stop feature too.
Last edited by sseri on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:53 am

I'd wait for a review that shows the fan profile. Be sure to buy from a vendor with a good return policy in case you dislike it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 am

I would go with the Zotac, the noise at idle seems very low according to TechPowerUp review, the card seems well thought in terms of the fan curve, it run hotter than most cards on load but also run quieter than most cards, still in the 70s so nothing to worry, most are staying in the 60s but they go well above 35db while the zotac stays lower. That said if your priority is idle, then i think the galax is a good option, sadly as steve said, not much reviews so its a gamble on load.

I personally ordered a Asus, mostly because has the same cooler/fans/dual vbios like RTX2080ti, so you get a card that can stop fans with a switch of the vbios you get a card that doesnt stop, so you decide what you want, i also liked a lot the tonality of the new asus fans over the old ones (reason i didn't buy the Asus RTX2060), i also think that massive cooler that keep a RTX2080ti cool and quiet, should have a very easy time with the GTX1660ti (at least i hope), that said, no TechPowerUp review to confirm its quieter.

sseri

Post by sseri » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:58 am

Does this ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC edition 6GB GDDR6 card have Fan Stop feature?

There is one local store that sells this card but the price is about $50 higher than those zotac and galax cards.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:05 am

No information out there, yet.

t0bi

Post by t0bi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:05 am

As it states on its website it has fan stop feature. I have been using Galax cards for a while now and haven't had a problem and they are quite too.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 am

I would go MSI, I have gaming X 1060 and even when on 40% I can't hear the fans... the fan quality is brilliant.

And you should be able to custom modify the bios to enable 0DB, unless the hardware fan controller differs, which is doubtful.