Matrox vs. ATI/NVidia display quality with DVI...

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ai

Matrox vs. ATI/NVidia display quality with DVI...

Post by ai » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:34 pm

[posted this originally to off-topic/not-silent but then realized that the reason i am looking at these cards is because they are silent, so this forum should be ok to post as well -- an i may get a response or two...]

Is Matrox display quality that much better than ATI (or even NVidia) based cards when comparing the DVI outputs? I like the P650 but it is a bit pricey compared to, say, Radeon 9000 with DVI. Both cards are passively cooled.

When comparing D-Sub outputs, I've noticed that Matrox is significantly superior.

I don't have any plans to run a dual monitor setup, or do any 3D-gaming. Also, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

bsdgeek

Post by bsdgeek » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:33 pm

There should not be any quality degradation issues between any different cards using DVI. Things should be equal, but I've heard of some Nvidia cards not conforming to the proper DVI standards, and thus not working right. The edge Matrox has here is the ability of using higher resolutions with their cards, 1600x1200 on both heads. Most other cards are limited to 1280x1024. Of course you must also factor in Matrox's solid drivers. :)

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:49 pm

Disclaimer : I have both an
* ATI 9000 Pro @home, on an old analog TFT
* Matrox G400 for HTPC
* Matrox P650 @work, DVI TFT

So I never tried the ATI on a DVI input, but from what I saw when swapping my G400 for the ATI9000, there is really a difference in quality between ATI and matrox.

That's what lead me toward a P650 instead of an ATI (9200). But, I didn't payed for my P650, and I was anyway willing to have a 2nd output available for later use.