Radeon 7500 without fan or heatsink

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bReAkDOwn

Radeon 7500 without fan or heatsink

Post by bReAkDOwn » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi! I'd like your opinion on this matter.
I've removed the fan of my ati radeon 7500 build by Hercules (3d prophet) and i've left glued on the chip the original fan holder, a round metal object (i can't find better words to describe it :wink: ). This holder can be considered as a sort of heatsink because it's made of metal and conducts heat, but since it's flat, it has also a small dissipating surface. It becomes warm after hours of normal desktop utilization and warmer, though not hot, after intense 3d operation (3d marks). However, even in the latter case i can keep a finger on it as long as i want, without any problem. Now, bearing in mind that the chipset temperature shouldn't be rising too much since i can keep a finger on the fan holder all the time, i'm wondering if it's reasonable to leave everything this way.
Thanks in advance for your advice..

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:15 pm

If you can 3DMark as a loop for a hour or so without any lockups or artifacting then you're fine. You don't have to worry about burning up the chip, it'll shut itself down before any damage happens.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:58 am

Rusty075 wrote:You don't have to worry about burning up the chip, it'll shut itself down before any damage happens.
Sounds good, do you have any sources?