Mounting NB32J questions

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BaconTastesGood

Mounting NB32J questions

Post by BaconTastesGood » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:37 pm

Got my NB32J from NewEgg today.

I've managed to pry off the old heatsink from my TNT2 Ultra board (woo-hoo, old school!), but there's still some caked on goop, presumably old thermal adhesive.

How can I remove this stuff? I've tried acetone (which I spilled onto the circuit board as well -- is this bad?), and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe use a razor and then acetone/alcohol?

Also, the NB32J doesn't cover the whole GPU package, does this matter?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:36 pm

If the acetone doesn't do it try rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't try "Goop Off" or WD40.

Acetone won't hurt the board, although I have seen it smire the silkscreened lettering on some things.

the alcohol is harmless too. (unless you drink it)

The WD40 won't hurt anything, but it will leave a film that you'll have to use acetone to remove. (if you don't the WD40 will really screw up your thermal paste application)

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:40 pm

I ended up having to use a paint scraper, followed by acetone then alcohol, and that seemed to do the trick. My only concern is that since the NB32 is a little smaller than the chip package, I just kind of centered it and hope that it works. The thermal adhesive is setting right now.

I'm not even sure how to test to see if it's stable/working.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:44 pm

You shouldn't worry too much about it being smaller. With GPU's the outer edge is just packaging, the part that gets hot is the very center.

As for testing, my default GPU test is to run 3dmark as a loop for half an hour or so.

Will your TNT2 run 3DMark? :wink:

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:36 pm

Hrrm... I've still got to mount that cooler on my ti4200. Currently running the tiny stock cooler with the fan unplugged. Only airflow is from a 5V L1A at the front of the case with the unused PCI slot covers open. Runs damn hot, but loops just fine with 3dmark for an hour.

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:07 pm

Well, seems to have cured, feels pretty snug, just gotta find a system for it to plug into.

Zyzzyx: I have the EXACT same dilemma, I've got a Ti4200 with fan unplugged and with a 12V Panaflo pointed at it mounted on a bent PCI bracket, heh. If this TNT2 Ultra Pro works out, I'll give the Ti4200 a shot next.