Tachyon 9800pro - near silent video cooling

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

breakspirit

Tachyon 9800pro - near silent video cooling

Post by breakspirit » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:08 pm

I just got the Tyan Tachyon G9800 PRO-M, which is the coolest video card on the planet, and no one else seems to realize it. It has fan speed monitoring AND control, huge heat sinks, and tons of temp probes all over.

However, I've noticed that with the fan in a silent mode, around 3500rpm, it can't cool it effectively during serious usage, and so the fan automatically kicks itself up to full speed. Unfortunately, full speed sounds like a jet taking off inside my case, so thats not good. Well, I noticed that the fan only kicks up the speed when it gets above 60 degrees C and it stays around 59 all the time.

So, the fan kicks up the speed every so often and I have to manually turn it back down. Well, I looked at my zalman vga cooler I have and considered installing that, but it's such a hassle. Then I figured out that all I have to do is copy the zalman concept, which is just a huge heatsink and a weak fan blowing across it. thus, I ended up with the following...

That's an L1A cooling it, very nearly silently. I need some way to mount that fan right there in front of the video card. It keeps it a good 5-10 degrees cooler and it's basically silent. I don't want to put a fan in my case window, I'm thinking more like making some sort of bracket. Any ideas, or has anyone else seen this or done this? Sorry for such a long post.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Tachyon 9800pro - near silent video cooling

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:17 am

breakspirit wrote:I'm thinking more like making some sort of bracket. Any ideas, or has anyone else seen this or done this? Sorry for such a long post.
You can buy a Zalman BR123 bracket for around $8, or you can do it "Ghetto Styli" like MikeC shows here, near the bottom of the page by using a PCI slot cover with an extra hole drilled in it.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:22 am

also moving that top pci card down a few spots may give the card more room to breath, I would try that first just to see if you get better results. Oh and if you covered that unused fan hole in the back it would cause the air to be forced in next to the pci slots and that might help some too, or close that part off too, and just remove the pci slot thing directly under the video card and cool air will flow over the card.

breakspirit

Post by breakspirit » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:13 am

thanks for the input, im in the process of drilling a hole in a pci slot cover right now to mount the fan onto it. i just hope it doesnt vibrate or anything

breakspirit

Post by breakspirit » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:34 pm

figured you might care to see my handy work...

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:13 pm

looks good, I would still try taping over that unused fan hole just to see if that helps any. also not having a screw to hold up my video card would drive me crazy but thats just me.

breakspirit

Post by breakspirit » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:40 pm

man youve got a sharp eye

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:04 am

breakspirit, I have the 9600 pro Tachyon, this card also kicks up fan speed, sometimes without reason. Try this: At startup, set fan speed using the supplied TGM software, then close the TGM program. Just right-click the tray icon and choose exit or close, can't remember which. With my card, it never speeded up anymore.

breakspirit

Post by breakspirit » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:20 pm

mine actually speeds itself up even with the software closed, even if it didnt load on startup, its really weird. might just be a feature of the hardware