Stock Intel cooler used for zalmanized Radeon 9700

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maarten

Stock Intel cooler used for zalmanized Radeon 9700

Post by maarten » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:34 am

Ive came up with this setup since things got a little hot for the radeon (65°c+ under load)

What I did was get the stock Intel cooler that I didn't use anyway, it has some nice plastic clips so it fits easily at the back of the pc. I put it at 5volt so it's quiet. It blows air into the case.

After this addition the R9700Pro never goes over 54°c under load, and stays at around 48°c under idle.

The CPU (PIV 2.8c) idles at 36°c and under load does about 50°c

http://users.pandora.be/maartenonline/t ... /pc004.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/maartenonline/t ... /pc006.jpg

As you can see in the last picture:
I pull in air below the Radeon with the Intel stock fan at 5v
I pull in (very little) air from the front with a Papst 80mm 1500rpm fan
I get air out of the case with a same type Papst next to the CPU
I get air out of the case via the Zalman 400watt PSU

The CPU heatsink is a Thermalright 900A with a Enermax 92mm at 1500rpm

I'm not very experienced with setups, but i wish to keep things quiet more and more, I therefore would like some comments on this setup.

Thanks

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:33 am

1) Do you keep track of your HDD temps?

2) If that setup works for you, great! Your temps look great, so if your HDD temps are also OK, stick with it.

3) You should color coordinate the twisty-ties that are holding the cooling fan to your case. It will help the Feng-shui, as will cleaning up the wiring a bit. :)

maarten

Post by maarten » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:14 am

one of the HDD's is stable at 34°c, I didn't measure the other two, but I would expect it to be the same...

I feel there's still quite some noise, I think it's from the PSU, could it be that the zalman is the loudest part ?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:39 am

maarten wrote:one of the HDD's is stable at 34°c, I didn't measure the other two, but I would expect it to be the same...

I feel there's still quite some noise, I think it's from the PSU, could it be that the zalman is the loudest part ?
34°C is fine for an HDD.

To check for noise, disconnect your HDDs and startup your system, that will take them out of the equation. Then briefly stop the CPU fan and case fan(s) to see if the noise is coming from one of them. If none of that gets rid of the objectionable noise then it must be emanating from the PSU.