Any Sapphire Radeon Ultimate 9800 pro owners out there?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

newtonoise

Any Sapphire Radeon Ultimate 9800 pro owners out there?

Post by newtonoise » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:21 pm

Hello,

I was hoping some Sapphire Radeon Ultimate 9800 pro owners may be able to help with this..

I am considering purchasing one for a pc I am building and I don't really feel too comfortable with modding an existing Radeon card. Has anyone had any luck with this card without an additional fan? I have heard it runs hot but their website doesn't really say much and I was hoping I could get away with the PSU, HSF and Case fan as the only additional fans in the pc...It would be used in either an Antec Sonata or 3700BQE..

Thank you in advance....Your replies are appreciated!!

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:02 pm

I have a BB ATI 9800 Pro that I modified with the Zalman heat pipe. You need to experiment. I've had the card overheat once, but that was because I turned every fan in my system off (except the CPU and PSU, obviously).

I'm running a 3gig, and that's going to run pretty hot. I have a fan running on the card at 6v right now, but that's just because I like keeping all of my components cool (except for the HD I have on foam -sigh-).

If you pick a case with good enough airflow, you should be fine (120mm, or 2x80mm, unvervolted). Just remember that it will help a lot with heating issues if you cut the grills out for better airflow. Without a fan on the card, you'll probably need it.

FiXxXeR

Re: Any Sapphire Radeon Ultimate 9800 pro owners out there?

Post by FiXxXeR » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:46 pm

newtonoise wrote:Hello,

I was hoping some Sapphire Radeon Ultimate 9800 pro owners may be able to help with this..

I am considering purchasing one for a pc I am building and I don't really feel too comfortable with modding an existing Radeon card. Has anyone had any luck with this card without an additional fan? I have heard it runs hot but their website doesn't really say much and I was hoping I could get away with the PSU, HSF and Case fan as the only additional fans in the pc...It would be used in either an Antec Sonata or 3700BQE..

Thank you in advance....Your replies are appreciated!!
yes, i got it (128mb version ult. ed). i've a zalman fan bracket armet with a 5v (or maybe 7...havent bothered in a while) papst 80mm (1500rpm) blowing onto it, but with good air flow you won't need it. i dont need it but i like it to stay cool. very satisfied with this card. btw, i've a compucase 6a21 with cutout grills running 2x120mm papst at 5v. the card would stay cool under those circumstainces without the additional fan i run.