Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer, Install problem FIXED!!!!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer, Install problem FIXED!!!!

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:12 pm

Ok video card coolers are really starting to piss me off. My acvgas came in today and im trying to install it, but the damn screws wont tighten up near enough. Ive gotten them in almost enough but its still wayyyyy too loose. There is a good mm gap between the gpu and heatsink and the screws wont go down any farther, also they want to thread at an angle instead of straight up and down. Did anyone else have this problem, or are my video card holes just slightly out of wack or something? Someone please help with advice or tips, or anything.
Last edited by GamingGod on Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:32 pm

Well the damn screw snapped now, I was almost there, the screws were actually going in straight but they were still really loose and then snap. I wasnt even putting much pressure on it. Tiny screws are fast becoming my most unfavorite thing. And it broke in a way that I cant even remove it from the heatsink and the heatsink is stuck to my damn card, I have no idea how im going to seperate it now.

If I ever get a damn heatsink on my videocard thats it for me. No more aftermarket videocard heatsinks for me. From now on im buying cool running video cards and paying someone to put the heatsink on for me because apparently I cant screw a $@^%ing screw into a &$^#ing hole.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:30 pm

I'm not sure what specific Radeon model you were trying to mount the VGA cooler on, but my understanding is that on some of the Radeon boards, there's a shim around the GPU that's just a bit too high to allow proper contact between the cooler and the chip. (The cooler rests on the shim, leaving a gap between the cooler and the chip.)

My VGA Silencer is in the mail, and I'll be looking for this when I try and mount in on the Radeon 9800. (I may remove the shim...)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:43 pm

thats not the problem. the problem was that the heatsink had no threads in the screw holes, just round holes and I had to push down very hard to literally make threads in the heatsink. It would have sat flush if I could have gotten the screws to go in all the way, but I never got them even halfway in. And now im gonna have to get a replacement screw somewhere or rma it or something. It just pisses me off, cause the holes in graphic cards are so damn small that any screw that you use is gonna be really small and fragile.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:52 pm

GG -- On this page at AC -- http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/support/faq/ -- check the link called VGA silencer clip problem. Did you put the clip in reverse?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:41 am

The arctic cooling page hasnt open right for me in days, I cant get anything from that page it says "Your browsers JavaScript-support does not work as expected. The menu has downgraded..."
But I put it on like it was shown in the picture. I cant see that site to know for certain though. Ill have to rma it now. Im missing a screw, and I swear mine came without threaded holes. So when I went to screw it in they wouldnt go in at all unless you push down hard and make your own threads. Maybe mine was just defective? I just want to install something on my videocard that doesnt sound like a robot baby being beaten with an electric razor. (the stock fan)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:01 pm

GamingGod wrote:The arctic cooling page hasnt open right for me in days, I cant get anything from that page it says "Your browsers JavaScript-support does not work as expected. The menu has downgraded..."
I've had the same problem with 3 different browsers, something's screwed up with their site.

Keep reloading the page and eventually it will completely load all the graphics.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:00 pm

Hey that page works now, and yea I installed it right from that picture. It just seemed that the screws didnt want to go in the holes straight, they kept turning at an angle. Also the holes didnt have threads in them, they were just smaller than the screws provided so I figured I had to muscle down on it and make my own threads but the screw was too fragile and snapped. Its like the screw turned ok for the first 1-2 turns but after that it was very very hard to turn it and I never got the screws down deep enough into the heatsink to where the heatsink and gpu were even touching.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:11 am

GamingGod wrote:Hey that page works now, and yea I installed it right from that picture. It just seemed that the screws didnt want to go in the holes straight, they kept turning at an angle. Also the holes didnt have threads in them, they were just smaller than the screws provided so I figured I had to muscle down on it and make my own threads but the screw was too fragile and snapped. Its like the screw turned ok for the first 1-2 turns but after that it was very very hard to turn it and I never got the screws down deep enough into the heatsink to where the heatsink and gpu were even touching.
With all the trouble you've had with your vidcard setup in this system have you ever thought about swapping mobos for one with integrated video. :)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:40 am

LOL that never crossed my mind. Its a gaming computer. I have thought about selling my 9800pro and getting a different one, or a 9600pro though. Its starting to piss me off, I was gonna move soon but I dont want to until my computer is in perfect working order. This damn video card has been trouble since day 1. Im not getting oem saphire cards anymore. And cheap a$$ videocard manufacturers that are always putting cheap loud piece of crap heatsinks on cards are starting to pi$$ me off.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:49 pm

Interesting. I may try the screws in the heatsink before I actually install it. I am glad I saw this. I was planning on trying to install it tonight.

BTW, I can get the link Mike referenced to open, but nothing else opens from there on.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:11 am

wgragg wrote:
BTW, I can get the link Mike referenced to open, but nothing else opens from there on.
Artic Cooling's site's all messed up. As I suggested a few posts above this one, just keep reloading the page and eventually you'll get where you need to be. Sometimes the site actually works like it should, but most of the time it's half-fubared.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:18 am

It must have messed up just recently, I use to go check it out a few weeks ago almost on a daily basis, hoping to catch a picture or info on the revision of the acvgas, and this page didnt start messing up for me until a few days ago.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:35 pm

Ok i have my new acvgas on my 9800pro and its working great. It was definately not drilled correctly on the first one, probably just a fluke. This one was VERY VERY easy to install. My first one i struggle with it for hours trying to line the holes up but this one went together in a matter of 5 minutes. At 12v it is audible and the loudest comonent in my system, but, its so low pitch that it doesnt bother me even at full speed. At 5v it is inaudible over everything else. My computer is now very very quiet. Not silent, but once I put it under my desk ill be happy with it. Ill post pics soon I hope. Any doubts I had about this product are gone now. This thing is great go buy one.