Systems from Directron

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jobifl

Systems from Directron

Post by jobifl » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:26 pm

I am wondering I did not hear something about Directron.com on silentpcpreview and on this forum. They build complete systems at reasonable prices. E.g. the Earsaver IV with: Antec Sonata case, AMD XP2800+, Gigabyte GA-7N400, 120GB HDD (different brands), 512MB DDR400, 52xCD-RW, GeForceFX 5200, 128MB for $757.99. Anything wrong with them? Has anybody experiences?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:28 pm

HDD and PSU aren't ideal...

ARM is better

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:11 pm

I'd go one step further and say this: Because ARM Systems is actually futher silencing already quiet PSUs with Panaflos, use AcoustiPack case damping in cases well-optimized for good airflow, and apply customized airflow/noise fan control algorithms based on extensive experience, they are probably about as good as you can get commercially... without risking heat damage or resorting to total exotica.

IMO, those Directron system are easily beaten by any reasonably careful amateur builder who spends a bit of time to study core SPCR articles.

jobifl

Post by jobifl » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:15 pm

You get a Seagate, Maxtor or Samsung or any other HD that is considered quiet. I can see nothing wrong with the Antec TruePower PSU.

I agree that AMD is probably building more sophisticated systems. But almost for double the price. So my question is whether or not you can hear the difference substantially. The easiest way to figure it out would be to hear both side by side. Like you do when you are buying loudspeakers.

Speaking of a step further. Why not a passive cooling system without any fans at all? It would be not only more quiet but noiseless. On a German site they offer those systems (the English Version of their site is http://www.deltatronic.de/int/pc/index.html) and they have gotten excellent ratings from German PC Magazines.

Thank you for your comments.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:41 pm

http://www.voodoopc.com/

www.mini-itx.com

the computers sold or described by these two may interest you