Shuttle cubes - rear vent removal?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mudboy

Shuttle cubes - rear vent removal?

Post by mudboy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:52 am

I just got a used (so modding will make me less nervous :P) Shuttle SN41G2 for my wife. The lack of open-ness of the rear punched out "mesh" has me convinced that removing this to make it so that the heatpipe fins were completely open would have a significant, positive affect on cooling and would allow me to put a MUCH quieter fan back there. Has anyone done this? What were the affects on temps? Right now I'm at 49C CPU/44C case under 100% load which doesn't concern me all that much...there's an XP 2600+/333 in there right now.

Pete

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:46 am

I don't see how it could possibly do anything but help. It certainly couldn't hurt and the aluminum is very easy to cut. I say go for it.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:27 am

49C under load sounds about right, depending on what your ambient is. My sn45g shows 48c now, with ambient at 18C (64F) running f@h. 2800 barton at 3000 speed.

This one has a Panaflo M 80 mm fan in it. Works great. I've tried a Panaflo L and it works fine also; there's just not as much of a cushion as with the M.

I cut the grill out with a dremel, after putting masking tape on the back of the box. Used the thin cut-off wheel and cleaned up with a carbide burr. Covered up the mobo with some towels and then a couple of blasts from an air compressor. Use common sense here - it would be better to take the mobo out first, but, that's a huge pita and does not fit in with the "couch potato credo." :)

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:54 am

How quiet is the Panaflo M in that application? Quieter than the stock Sunon?

Pete

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:24 am

The oem 80x25 Sunon that comes with most Shuttle G boxes is junk. Remove Sunon fan, walk directly to garbage can, lift lid, drop Sunon fan in, replace lid. Oh, then install the Panaflo.

I'm assuming that the L and M are basically the same fan as I've never stared at both at the same time. They just have slightly different motors. I think. The M is available with rpm sensing (MBX.)

So, at the same rpm, they should sound roughly the same. I guess. Get both, you'll be happy you did.

Perhaps Mr. Hutter has some direct experience in this matter (comparison of L and M.)

M

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:15 pm

Just had to comment on this one.

I cut out the grill on my SN41G2 today. Bought a pair of tin snips and a coarse file from Home Depot and I got to work while I dried my laundry. It took about 10-15 minutes to cut it out, and another 30-45 minutes of filing it down to a level that looked semi-decent (I should have also gotten a fine file as well if I really cared).

I'm still testing the result now, but it does seem like I'm getting better airflow and subsequently, cooling.

mas92264, which Panaflo M1A fan would you recommend, the 12V or the 24V? That'll probably be my next mod for this computer.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:34 am

which Panaflo M1A fan would you recommend, the 12V or the 24V?
I see no valid reason to get the 24v. You can easily adust the fan parameters in conjunction with desired cpu temp using SpeedFan. You'll likely have to set the bottom fan speed at 2 or 3 %. Max fan speed is reached at 16 to 25 % in my Shuttle boxes.

If you're running a hot cpu in a warm room, an L1A may not have enough headroom. If I were just getting one fan, I'd get the 12v M. Since the L is pretty cheap, I'd get that one too. I'm using M's in both my Shuttle boxes, but, they're running f@h 24/7. Fan speed is about 1,700-1,800 rpm for cpu temps in the low 50s.

M