Asus Terminator - Quieter than Barracuda IV SFF PC!?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Asus Terminator - Quieter than Barracuda IV SFF PC!?

Post by ez2remember » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:58 am

Ammendment: It's the Asus Terminator on the left of picture and certainly not the shuttle.

They claim the noisiest component to be the Barracuda IV. The fans runs at a relatively low <950rpm for exhuast and <1500rpm for cpu. The link below takes you straight to page 3 of the review, about noise and the cooling setup. :wink: Feel free to roam around..

Translated Review

They have reviewed lots of SFF comps here including VIA mini-itx and they claim the Asus Terminator to be the quietest! :lol:

Other SFF reviews

Any comments?
Last edited by ez2remember on Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:03 am

Looking at the picture first I thought you are talking about Shuttle! I could get a heart attack! :) Since there is no way Barracuda is the noisiest component of this Shuttle...

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:09 am

Nope, sorry for the cofusion I think I will update my previous post for clarification.

I know what you mean about the shuttle! :evil: It seems the Asus Terminator, this new model in particular is very well designed. I am not sure even the PSU has a fan (maybe the exhaust fan takes air through the PSU as well). The PSU exhuast is not exposed and is deep inside the case.

I think this system will be even quieter if changed to panaflo fans.

Update: According to the review it only has two fans CPU + exhaust. ('Ventilators' bad translation)

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:02 am

Sorry to bring such an old thread to life again, but I think it is called for.
I noticed that there is a special heatpipe cooler made for this chassi.
It can be seen on Webhallen (Swedish site).
Cost for the cooler is 129 SEK (~15 USD).

With this cooler the only fan in the system would be the 92mm chassi fan.

Bean

Post by Bean » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:39 am

silvervarg wrote:Sorry to bring such an old thread to life again, but I think it is called for.
I noticed that there is a special heatpipe cooler made for this chassi.
It can be seen on Webhallen (Swedish site).
Cost for the cooler is 129 SEK (~15 USD).

With this cooler the only fan in the system would be the 92mm chassi fan.
That is an amazing price. Do you know who else sells this? I'd sure like to get my hands on one. Is it amd? Sorry for the barrage of questions and great find.

EDIT: I see its for P4 but at $15 I'll make it work for AMD :wink:

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:57 am

Bean:
I see its for P4 but at $15 I'll make it work for AMD
I though the chassi was only sold with a board for Intel processors and the chassi has a propriatory form factor.
Do you have that chassi with a board for AMD?
If you do, where did you find someone that sell the board for that price?

About the CPU-coolers availability I have only seen it on this store, and it is brand new, so it should probably be widely available fairly soon.

Bean

Post by Bean » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:07 am

silvervarg wrote:I though the chassi was only sold with a board for Intel processors and the chassi has a propriatory form factor.
Do you have that chassi with a board for AMD?
If you do, where did you find someone that sell the board for that price?
To answer your question - NO. I just meant since its so cheap that maybe I could buy the heat pipe and modify it to make it work on an AMD cpu. Heck maybe it could also be used on a video card.

silvervarg wrote:About the CPU-coolers availability I have only seen it on this store, and it is brand new, so it should probably be widely available fairly soon.
Thanks. I noticed shuttle sells theirs but its $41(US) shipped and of course its intel.

grandpa_boris

but who sells this heatpipe?

Post by grandpa_boris » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:26 am

i found several on-line retailers selling this case, but while some of them mention the "optional heatpipe", none of them sell it. the price of the barebones system without the heatpipe is US$170 and up. asus' site doesn't offer any helpful info either...

energy

Post by energy » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:32 pm

They are truly really quiet machines. I once had a celeron 1.2 based Terminator with a barracuda IV and the noisiest component was the retail Intel cooler. Unplugging it made for a very quiet system.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:42 pm

There is an Athlon version also, the Terminator K7.

David

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:03 am

Bean:
I just meant since its so cheap that maybe I could buy the heat pipe and modify it to make it work on an AMD cpu. Heck maybe it could also be used on a video card.
Ah, that's an interesting thought. Using it on a GPU will waste an awfull lot of PCI slots and in a tower the heatpipes would be turned the wrong way, so I don't think it is a good choice for a GPU.
I bet there will be an AMD version soon, so I would prefere to wait rather than mod it now.

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:04 pm

yeah, PCI is dumb... use ISA instead, because atleast they had the good sense to put components on the top of the PCB where the heat could rise off of them.