SPCR Quiet Certified Gaming PC by AVADirect Custom Computers

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: SPCR Quiet Certified Gaming PC by AVADirect Custom Compu

Post by frenchie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Reading the AnandTech again, it's not that bad. I think the reviewer should work on the tone of the review though...

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm

About $1 of styrene would separate the GPU and CPU airflows...

kellym2

Post by kellym2 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 pm

I wish the AnandTech reviewer would have expanded more on the SPCR certification issue - what his problems and views were. He kind of dances around it. I'm not saying they couldn't be constructive but he comes off as somewhat passive/aggressive.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 pm

rpsgc wrote:This line just... grinds my gears.
True to form, the AVADirect Quiet Gaming System is, indeed, quiet. I can't verify the certification by SPCR; most sound meters don't read below 30dB, so testing to see if those figures are accurate just isn't possible.
No, just because you aren't able to, doesn't mean it's not possible.
The whole thing starts off on a bit of a slant, and this line did not help my impression of the article as a case of review-envy. I'm sure the reviewer meant to say "just is not possible for us", but indeed worded it poorly. Also, I realise the standards are not exactly high in this field, but the sniping? That was hilarious. :roll:

The Puget Systems review referenced in the article has no such bite to it. Possibly because that was an exceptionally quiet system, and it was "SPCR Edition", not "Certified".

It seems the word Certification got taken very (read: too) seriously, but Certifications and Standards are an actual Big Thing. As Dave_M pointed out, there's some tuning to be done here if this is to be an actual Thing and a serious system: impressions (branding) matter, as does the legibility of what the certification is and entails, so no one flies off the handle when the certified product actually makes a sound.

PS. I have my own reservations about the H2 case, but bias like that in a review comes across as a grudge. Then again, a $99 case in a $2,800 system does sound a bit suspect from the word Go.

PPS.
kellym2 wrote:I wish the AnandTech reviewer would have expanded more on the SPCR certification issue - what his problems and views were. He kind of dances around it. I'm not saying they couldn't be constructive but he comes off as somewhat passive/aggressive.
Ditto. Sniping is not going have the field progress, and if you are a reviewer, you should articulate and argue any points you would like to make.

Enzo_FX

Post by Enzo_FX » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Dustin's reviews are sorely lacking over at Anandtech IMO. He often complains about trivial matters, and leaves a lot to be desired in terms of looking at a lot of details.

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 am

rpsgc wrote:This line just... grinds my gears.
True to form, the AVADirect Quiet Gaming System is, indeed, quiet. I can't verify the certification by SPCR; most sound meters don't read below 30dB, so testing to see if those figures are accurate just isn't possible.
No, just because you aren't able to, doesn't mean it's not possible.
Wow I have to agree there. That's pretty pathetic. If you want to actually review a system for it's quietness you might want to pony up for a sound meter that reads below 30dB.
rpsgc wrote: That and saying it isn't really quiet because his own computer sounds quieter... oh, did I miss the part where he actually measured it? Oh, what's that? He didn't? He's simply stating opinion as facts? Nice.
at the time a 4GHz Intel Core i7-990X cooled with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ and a pair of Scythe low speed fans, inside a SilverStone FT02
What, no video card? Yeah, totally fair comparison.

Furthermore I'd really love to know how is it that his CPU (a six-core beast @ 4GHz) idles at just 24C with a simple Hyper 212+ yet his computer is sooooo much quieter than the AVADirect. Oh, the magic of merda taurorum

It's Anandtech, what did I expect?
Just one more thing to add - it would be interesting to know the ambient sound level by his own computer. I know he didn't actually test anything so maybe he didn't even put the computers in the same place. My friend has his computer next to a fish tank and the computer is so quiet you can't even hear it!!!! lol :roll: Seriously though, ambient noise level is very subjective for a human (easy to block out) but not for a sound meter.
Enzo_FX wrote:Dustin's reviews are sorely lacking over at Anandtech IMO. He often complains about trivial matters, and leaves a lot to be desired in terms of looking at a lot of details.
Good to know. I read Anandtech quite a bit for CPU news stuff.