It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 am
Posts: 1730
Location: Switzerland
pmcd wrote:
Those serial ports must be a mistake.

There are people who have equipement you need serial ports for... the kind of equipment you'd put next to someone's bed perhaps? Or possibly people concerned about dust issued? I guess that would be the point of fanless + serial. For a lot of serial-driven equipement, I don't think a fan would be a problem.

I assume it's not a mistake and that this PC's main market is simply not supposed to be consumers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:24 pm
Posts: 335
Location: CA, USA
HFat wrote:
pmcd wrote:
Those serial ports must be a mistake.

There are people who have equipement you need serial ports for... the kind of equipment you'd put next to someone's bed perhaps? Or possibly people concerned about dust issued? I guess that would be the point of fanless + serial. For a lot of serial-driven equipement, I don't think a fan would be a problem.

I assume it's not a mistake and that this PC's main market is simply not supposed to be consumers.
So the main market is people who need legacy serial ports? What sort of equipment doesn't support USB? If they want to include the COM ports, they should just put them on the back with the rest of the I/O where they belong.

Edit: Not that I disagree with you. It seems like they had some corporate customer request front panel COM ports, otherwise this is a stupid design.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am
Posts: 51
I got an i3 NUC a few weeks ago. I've had no problems with it overheating, but the fan is very buzzy. No problems with the wifi not working due to heat either, and I'm using an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 beneath a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD. It performs excellently, I use it as a HTPC running Windows 7. HD4000 video is perfect, I've witnessed no issues at all with it.

Reviews have said the NUC is quiet, one reviewer saying he needed to put his ear next to the machine to hear it. That reviewer obviously lives next to an airport, or needs his ears cleaned out. :lol:

I've ordered one of the passive cases off Tranquil. I'll of course post up my thoughts when it arrives (hopefully next week), and will get some pics of install.

_________________
Workstation: i5-4690K@4.7GHz, Asus Z97I-Plus, 8GB Kingston DDR3-1600, Crucial M500 480GB, WD1003FZEX, Win7
Server: i3-4350, AsRock E3C224D2I, 16GB ECC, Intel 520 180GB, 2x Toshiba 5TB, 2xWD50EFRX, Server 2012R2, Stablebit Drivepool
HTPC1: TranquilPC ABEL H2, i3, 4GB DDR3L-12800, Crucial M4 128GB mSATA, Win7
HTPC2: Akasa Euler, DH61AG, Pentium G620, 4GB DDR3L-10666, Crucial M4 64GB mSATA, Win7


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:24 pm
Posts: 335
Location: CA, USA
http://vr-zone.com/articles/intels-hasw ... 35563.html
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2013/06/hasw ... ember.html
Good news.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 am
Posts: 206
toronado455 wrote:
So the main market is people who need legacy serial ports? What sort of equipment doesn't support USB? If they want to include the COM ports, they should just put them on the back with the rest of the I/O where they belong.

Edit: Not that I disagree with you. It seems like they had some corporate customer request front panel COM ports, otherwise this is a stupid design.


There is a lot of very expensive medical, scientific, and industrial equipment that is driven by COM ports, and when you have a CNC milling machine with a six-figure price tag, you don't replace it because the new one has a USB port.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:24 pm
Posts: 335
Location: CA, USA
Scrooge wrote:
toronado455 wrote:
So the main market is people who need legacy serial ports? What sort of equipment doesn't support USB? If they want to include the COM ports, they should just put them on the back with the rest of the I/O where they belong.

Edit: Not that I disagree with you. It seems like they had some corporate customer request front panel COM ports, otherwise this is a stupid design.


There is a lot of very expensive medical, scientific, and industrial equipment that is driven by COM ports, and when you have a CNC milling machine with a six-figure price tag, you don't replace it because the new one has a USB port.


OK, fine. But I still don't understand why the port MUST be on the front panel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:01 am
Posts: 8
Really fun concept, buuuuut they are terribly cost prohibitive. to build a base computer with no OS or peripherals, you are looking at a 450-500 before tax, and that is with 4GB ram and 64GB SSD...... so unless you have an OS, you can spend the same money and get an ASUS AIO that is ?passively cooled? (I have not been able to confirm, but they are quiet), comes with a 24" screen, DVD drive, more powerful CPU, 6GB memory, OS, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This may be the Holy Grail of silence
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 152
Location: Cape Cod
I went ahead and sprung for an i7 2.3Ghz Mac Mini. I am extremely happy with the silence. I have light bulbs that make more noise! That said, I do not do much with it and I also use fan control software because I think it runs too hot if left to Apple's devices.

This little machine, with 16GB Ram and a Vector 512 SSD has exceeded my expectations by a large margin. I like it and switched to OSX in the process.

I guess I would look at an NUC, but only Haswell and if I could be assured of a non buzzy fan. I HATE buzzy fans.

For now, Mac mini FTW!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group