Anyone has Dell PowerEdge T20, is it silent?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

petur

Anyone has Dell PowerEdge T20, is it silent?

Post by petur » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 am

Does anyone have the Dell PowerEdge T20? I would like to know how silent it is with an SSD drive. If you do have one, how would you rate the noise and which CPU do you have?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Anyone has Dell PowerEdge T20, is it silent?

Post by xan_user » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

petur wrote:Does anyone have the Dell PowerEdge T20? I would like to know how silent it is with an SSD drive. If you do have one, how would you rate the noise and which CPU do you have?
WELCOME TO SPCR!
99% of us build our own rigs, so i doubt any of us own one. at first glance it looks like there are 3 80mm fans of unknown origin/quality/noise. -not exactly what a silent enthusiast wants to see. sure you could swap out the fans and the heatsink, quieting that rig, but why not just build one from scratch and achieve much better results for a whole lot le$$?

edh

Re: Anyone has Dell PowerEdge T20, is it silent?

Post by edh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm

It might also be worth understanding your application. As it is a server, is noise really that important if you can instead able to put it out of hearing range?