Only intake through CPU HS?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

swivelguy2

Only intake through CPU HS?

Post by swivelguy2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am

I am building a system in a Fractal Node 304, with an i5-3550, a GTX 750 Ti, and a Seasonic SSR-360GP. The two 92mm intakes don't really excite me as they are in a pretty choked-off location, so I am considering reversing the typical airflow, and having the only intake be from the rear 120mm opening, while the top/front vents become a passive exhaust (92mm fans and filter removed). I would probably achieve this by mounting the fan on the CPU HS (Hyper 212 evo) and creating a simple duct from a yogurt container mounted on the back panel of the case which reaches out to almost touch the fan.

My question is, how bad of an idea is it for the rest of the system (hard disk, chipset, etc) to be cooled by air that has already been heated a few degrees by the CPU HS?

Here's a picture of the case layout for reference:

tim851

Re: Only intake through CPU HS?

Post by tim851 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

What works as a passive exhaust will work as a passive intake too.

Keep the default airflow which will remove hot air of GPU and CPU from the case and draw in fresh air through the side vent. I concur with your questioning the effectiveness of the front intake fans.

quest_for_silence

Re: Only intake through CPU HS?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:how bad of an idea is it for the rest of the system (hard disk, chipset, etc)

IMVHO you have virtually no chipset (rather, sort of an I/O hub), so no need to cool it, and I don't think that an hard disk really need cooling in a typical desktop environment.
You may also try to work out a positive pressure setup: at least, that is what I would try first of all.