Asus Pre-built system is noisy. Help me make it quieter.

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

morkys

Asus Pre-built system is noisy. Help me make it quieter.

Post by morkys » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:12 am

I bought this Asus box and it seems noisy.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=065795

I use this PC in the corner of my bedroom near my bed and I will listen to music stored on hdd so quieter is better.

The box: ASUS (M11AD-US005S) Desktop PC Mid Tower
- Intel Core i3-4130T 2.9Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, AMD HD8350 1G Graphics
- Windows 8
(upgraded to 8GB with 4GB adata ram which I noticed draws more volts than the oem kingston 4GB chip)

The oem PSU has one fan sucking air in (as far as I can tell).
The CPU has a fan/cooler.
The case has an exhaust fan.
No fan on the MB and no fan on the AMD HD8350 video card.

I may not be adding anything to the inside of the PC except an ssd.

I don't feel much heat coming from this PC while surfing. I will use this PC for just about everything except gaming.

What should I look at first?
CPU fan/cooler? Case fan? PSU?
Any recommendations for upgrading/altering the fans to make them quieter would be most appreciated.
I am sure I could shop for and upgrade the CPU and case fan with "quieter" parts, perhaps upgrade the PSU too, but I thought folks here would have specific advice from experience.

Links to read? I will start reading what I can find here, but if you have a solution from experience, feel free to share with me.

thanks

:)

morkys

Re: Asus Pre-built system is noisy. Help me make it quieter.

Post by morkys » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:35 pm

I disconnected the case fan and it was by far the loudest thing in the box. PSU is probably the quietest. I will try installing a quieter case fan for starters. After that, if it's still noisy I will look at the CPU fan/cooler.

I guess I will look in the fan forum. It looks like some more reading. I want something alot quieter than what I have now.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Im assumming a prebuilt Asus system will have an Asus motheboard, have you tried plugging the fan to the motherboard and running AI SUITE III / FanXpert2?

morkys

Post by morkys » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 am

Abula wrote:Im assumming a prebuilt Asus system will have an Asus motheboard, have you tried plugging the fan to the motherboard and running AI SUITE III / FanXpert2?
The fan came connected to the motherboard. One thing I notice is that the fan is exhausting out a hole in the case with perforated cut-away holes. Looks like a recipe for turbulence if you asked me.

I could try a fan speed controlling program. Not sure which one to try.

Oh, the fan has only 3 pins. I need a new fan if I want to control the speed. I am looking into fans in the fan forum.
Last edited by morkys on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:24 am

morkys wrote:I could try a fan speed controlling program. Not sure which one to try.
Check the motherboard model, then search Asus main page for it, then go into support of that motherboard, inside go to downloads and to utilities, search for AI SUITE III.

morkys

Post by morkys » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:39 am

Abula wrote:
morkys wrote:I could try a fan speed controlling program. Not sure which one to try.
Check the motherboard model, then search Asus main page for it, then go into support of that motherboard, inside go to downloads and to utilities, search for AI SUITE III.
What's the easiest way to find out the MB model? Crack open the case? Is there something like the old SiSoft Sandra that can tell me most of what I need to know?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:18 pm

morkys wrote:Is there something like the old SiSoft Sandra that can tell me most of what I need to know?

One is CPU-Z, but there are many others (AIDA/Everest, Open Hardware Monitor, et caetera).