Help Building A Mini-ITX System Please

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

timk99

Help Building A Mini-ITX System Please

Post by timk99 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:54 am

I'd like to ask for some advice on building a mini-itx machine please.

I am looking for the most powerful mini-itx system I can build that can remain fanless but also around £250. I would definitely prefer a all in one board that already has CPU and heatsink built in rather than messing around putting that together too. Price is definitely a major factor here. It'll be used for Linux, perhaps running a small website, NFS and messing around with other stuff.

I was looking into the Gigabyte GA-C1037UN board with a M350 case and a Pico PSU and AC Adapter. However I then found the Antec ISK 100 case which comes with a similar external PSU and works out a bit cheaper.

Do you think I can run this fanless? I would also put in a 2.5 SATA drive.

Are there any other options that are more powerful and can still be run fanless (and are easily available in the UK)?

iwantaquietone

Re: Help Building A Mini-ITX System Please

Post by iwantaquietone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Have you read the Mike's review on the Akasa Euler case? Supposedly it's hard to get here in the States, but available on your side of the ocean.

HFat

Re: Help Building A Mini-ITX System Please

Post by HFat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:06 am

timk99 wrote:Do you think I can run this fanless? I would also put in a 2.5 SATA drive.
Don't know. There are boards can be run fanless in this type of case but I've never tried this board.
timk99 wrote:Are there any other options that are more powerful and can still be run fanless (and are easily available in the UK)?
Depending on what you want to do exactly, the most powerful Silvermont CPUs might be faster. Probably not by much though, and they'll be more expensive while being slower at other tasks. Still, a low-power architecture would probably save you a little electricity in the long run.
You probably don't need the power anyway. There are cheaper, less powerful boards which would probably suit you fine and run cooler.