Odroid C1

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FatherSkye

Odroid C1

Post by FatherSkye » Sun May 10, 2015 3:27 pm

How viable is an Odroid C1 as an HTPC. I am not trannscoding, editing or playing games? I just want a quiet system that will run Kodi and play HD video streams (720p or 1080p).
Also is the EMMc storage it uses likely to have much longevity?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Odroid C1

Post by Vicotnik » Sun May 10, 2015 3:41 pm

I have no personal experience with Odroid C1 but Raspberry Pi 1 and 2 work ok for a basic HTPC so I'm sure Odroid C1 works fine as well.

FatherSkye

Post by FatherSkye » Sun May 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I believe the C1 is more powerful than either of the RPi s and has gigabit ethernet. However I am not sure if the Odroid is a reliable alternative to spending $300-400 for a ITX HTPC or Nuc. Cost with shipping and tax with all parts works out to about $150 for the C1(case,power cable, EMMc card, micro HDMI cable,remote, PC,etc)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun May 10, 2015 11:12 pm

FatherSkye wrote:However I am not sure if the Odroid is a reliable alternative to spending $300-400 for a ITX HTPC or Nuc.
Define "reliable".

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Mon May 11, 2015 1:50 am

I bought an ODroid C1 (straight from HardKernel / South Korea, bacause even though there is a dealer in EU, they have outrageous prices and it was way cheaper to order straight form HardKernel even with VAT and import duties). I tried some KODI on it, and it worked fine. But in the end, I've had little usage for it for other reasons. Perhaps for some other project (I have way more ideas than time).

I'd presume any of these kind of devices were reliable. They don't have moving parts and electronics seldom fail in my experience... but others may have different kind of experiences :D

It's small, quiet and enough for what you wan't. I've heard that an RPi will work fine, but the UI is sluggish. Not so much with the ODroid (altough, in all fairness, it doesn't compare to a more powerfull desktop machine / CPU).

FatherSkye

Post by FatherSkye » Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
FatherSkye wrote:However I am not sure if the Odroid is a reliable alternative to spending $300-400 for a ITX HTPC or Nuc.
Define "reliable".
Built to last, works without major issues , produces a good picture without tearing or stuttering. Audio functions as it should

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 11, 2015 9:41 am

FatherSkye wrote:Built to last

Frankly, who knows? Personally I've no worries about but I don't think you may have a definitive answer about a product officially presented a few months ago (IIRC).

FatherSkye wrote:works without major issues , produces a good picture without tearing or stuttering. Audio functions as it should

Even if these are not, strictly speaking, reliability features, the relevant answers should be yes, yes and yes.
I mean, there's full of people running XBMC/KODI on Odroid (and less powerful Raspberry Pi2), and even software-wise it's Ubuntu (here in Italy there's more than a guide/how-to to run KODI on that hardware).