Voodoo PC claims < 20db on a fanless Athlon 64

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MGP

Post by MGP » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:08 am

Well it could be possible considering that the graphics is probably also cooled by the giant heatsink-case. If so, then all Voodoo needs is a super quiet PSU and a quiet hd...with that case's thick walls and industrial-looking grade structure, I could imagine that the HD's whine (typical HD annoyance) would be mostly "muffled" -- I mean, my Hitachi 180GXP 120GB w/ 8mb cache is barely audible behind the relatively thick aluminum bezel on my Coolermaster 710 (and remember, as I've posted in another SPCR thread, I'm essentially clinically intolerable towards noise when I do almost anything that needs the full force of my full noggin' :D ).

I would doubt a noise rating below 20dB, but could believe a number VERY close to VoodooPC's claim. But then again, VoodooPC sending SPCR a review sample for the "Prebuilt Systems" section is always welcome. If their machine can pass through SPCR's evaluation methodology, then it would certainly stand to benefit from the fact that SPCR is basically the definitive source for PC silencing. I mean, I really don't see the point in any other review site (no matter how respectable such as THG and Anandtech) taking a look of VoodooPC's fanless machine as they cannot appropriately comment on the PC's main appeal, <20dB silence, from a scientific/numerical POV. Other than that -- not be offensive to any possible gaming system builders out there -- most gaming PC's are clockwork.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:00 am

If you go to their website, it's basically a prebuilt computer using the zalman heatpipe case discussed before with a few cosmetic tweaks.
http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/f50.aspx

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Voodoo PC claims < 20db on a fanless Athlon 64

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:43 am

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:07 am

This case and the zen passive cpu cooler have been reposted on this board dozens of times.