Quiet but useful radiators - Recommendations?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BBEG

Quiet but useful radiators - Recommendations?

Post by BBEG » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 am

I understand that fan density is the major player in the noise-making caused by radiators (rather by the fans strapped to them): the higher the fan density, the stronger the fan needed to push air through and the better cooling is achieved. The lower the fan density, the less a fan has to work to push air through but cooling capability is reduced.

What single and dual 120mm and 140mm radiators do you guys recommend for quiet/silent CPU or GPU cooling? I will be using generally quiet, higher static-pressure fans (Adda Corp, Gentle Typhoons, Multiframes, San Ace for 120mm, Globe & TY-140/150 for 140mm) with a fan controller.

Re: Quiet but useful radiators - Recommendations?

Post by 1398342003 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm pretty sure you mean FIN density. All current radiators are pretty similar in performance, with only minor variations in ability at high fan speed, and almost none at low fan speed. The only exceptions are some of the HWLabs Black Ice series.

The Swiftech MCR series performs well and tends to be cheap. I'd recommend a triple fan radiator unless you don't have the space for it. There's no reason for a double when you can fit a triple.